Burn it down

-Christmas; Freshman Year-

I watched Mariana put marshmallows in her hot chocolate as I crunched up snow in my hands before throwing it at her back. She scoffed lightly and turned around, making me smirk before giving her a shrug. "Sorry, I had to." I stated and she rolled her eyes.

"You know you just declared war, right?" She asked smirking back as she put a lid on her hot chocolate.

"Come on, Caroline and Elena are over there." I replied gesturing away from the beverage stand and she smiled at me and we walked over.

-Bonnie-

"Come on." I said aggravatingly as I drove my mind away from memories of my favorite Christmas. We would drag a Christmas tree in front of the high-school every year and on Christmas Eve, we would have a celebration and decorated the tree with the entire town. I slowly breathed out as I set my tree up straight and nodded at the delicate, little thing. I looked up at the eclipse overhead of me and scoffed in annoyance. "No, I'm not noticing you. Today is not May 10, 1994. It's a day where we decorate Christmas trees and you are not telling me otherwise." I sighed sassily and I crossed my arms over my chest.

-Mariana-

I flipped aimlessly through the textbook pages beneath me before I let my eyes fall on Damon. I smiled a bit and looked away from his as he opened his eyes and looked at me, smirking a bit from where his head was laying. "Are you watching me sleep?" He asked in a sweet tone and I scoffed lightly.

"No. I'm watching you drool all over Ric's textbooks which isn't really a good thing to be doing, considering you're already on his bad side." I answered in amusement, making him roll his eyes and take his head off of the table.

"I don't drool." Damon stated before wiping his mouth and I chuckled knowingly. "What time is it?" He asked and I sighed as I turned to the next page in my book.

"Time for Ric to get a new reference library." I stated annoyingly, not finding anything. "We've been looking all night and I swear I haven't found anything that even remotely resembles an ascendant." I added, shaking my head and running by hand through my hair in frustration.

"Well, we haven't looked hard enough." Damon replied and I rose my eyebrow as he turned to the next page in his book. "Let's get to it." He added in some determination. I turned a few pages again before my eyes wandered and fell in him again. "Find anything yet?" He asked, not looking up from his pages.

"Nope." I replied and swiftly turned the pages some more but kept my eyes on him in some curiosity.

"Still staring." Damon pointed out, letting a small smirk fall on his lips and I rolled my eyes.

"It's just—Everything you've been doing for Bonnie." I admitted, making him look away from the book and towards me. "Thank you." I added with a genuine smile and watched him tilt his head back.

"She'd do it for us." Damon replied, smiling at me reassuringly and I nodded in agreement. We kept our gazes fixated on each other for some time before my phone started ringing. I picked it up from beside me and looked at the Caller I.D before answering.

"Hello, Ric." I stated, looking back down at my book while Damon looked down at us also.

"Have you seen Joe?" Ric asked in a somewhat worried tone and I rose my eyebrow.

"No, not since yesterday." I informed only to hear Alaric sigh loudly in frustration from the phone. Damon looked up from his book curiously and tilted his head.

"Why?" He asked, giving me an all knowing look and I felt some concern wash over me as I knew exactly what he was thinking.
~~~

"So, I got Elena to ask around the hospital.. No one's seen Joe since last night at the E.R." I informed as I paced in front of Damon and Ric who sat on the couch. "A bunch of stabbed victims came in and one of them is missing as well." I added, folding my arms over my chest.