Chapter 39: An Angry Discovery

(AN: Finally, an update! charis_nikola and I took time off for summer classes and for me to sort out copyright issues, but now we're back on!! Hope to stick to the weekly updates on Sundays! Much love. -Rach)

As the weeks went by, Alana found herself beginning to be unnerved by her training partner. The two of them were supposed to work in tandem training the younglings at the temple. Alana became frustrated with Cieralai constantly belittling her or insisting on the 'proper' techniques, so she began to offer lessons in private, helping the students like Zora in order to teach them techniques that would help them in battle.

One afternoon, Alana found herself training little Zora, working on a new grip technique that allowed her to use her tail better for balance.

Zora had just finished knocking down three little practice remotes, and Alana clapped her hands as the youngling pulled off her helmet.

"That was very good, Zora," she said, a smile on her face. "You're getting so much better."

"Thank you, Master," Zora said, smiling widely, but soon her face twisted into a face of discontent. "I just wish that Master Windu would let us use the techniques you're teaching us in class."

"I know," Alana said, trying not to allow her frustrations to show at the mention of Cieralai. In her honest opinion, the only Master Windu there should be was her former Master, Mace, but she buried that thought deep inside her mind, focusing on Zora. "But it is good that you are learning both. In the long run, you will be better off. Now, why don't you try it one more time? This time, make sure you don't stay on the ground for too long."

Zora nodded and put her helmet back on. Alana turned on the remotes and sent them to the air, watching as Zora calmed and readied herself for the remotes to begin. Soon enough, they were whizzing through the air, and she was deflecting away the blast fire.

However, Cieralai herself was passing through the area and heard the training blast fire from where she was. She rounded the corner, standing in the doorway just as Zora fired back a blast shot, powering down the last remote. She stood for a moment, watching as Alana went over and congratulated her.

"Perfect, Zora. Now keep this training in mind-" she trailed off, as if sensing the woman's presence.

Alana whirled around, coming face to face with none other than Cieralai, leaning in the doorway, arms crossed, and an unreadable expression on her face.

"Please. Don't stop now. Continue as if I were never here."

"Master," Zora suddenly piped up, noticing her too and bowing.

"I see Master Skywalker has been giving you some private lessons," Cieralai responded casually, but everyone in the room appeared to be on edge despite hearing her nonchalant tone.

Alana nodded and turned back to Zora, the hair on her back prickling up.

"Why don't you head back to your quarters, Zora," she said. "You've done well."

Zora hesitated, looking back and forth between the two masters before scurrying out of the room.

Meanwhile, Alana turned from the door, picking up the helmet and the droids slowly, not wanting to even speak to Cieralai. She was tired of Cieralai always being around, trying to tell her what to do or how to oversee her. And now, she had discovered their training, which had become the only source of freedom Alana had felt since arriving back on Coruscant. Over the past weeks, Alana had been under constant supervision from the Council and from the medical staff due to her injury. Even though she was constantly feeling better with each passing day, and she was nearly ready to return to the field, Alana felt micromanaged and she rarely had the space to think for herself. That coupled with the secret she was hiding, and the complete inability to contact Kenobi was enough to keep her teetering on the edge.