11

Practicing water bending was one of Soana's ways of relaxation

Practicing water bending was one of Soana's ways of relaxation. She wasn't so stressed about being in the imperial city, but being caught was her only problem. She often wondered if it would be possible for her to see someone she knew, but then she remembered no one had been in nor out of her home region in years since the war had started.

Quietly, Soana was in her room with the door and window shut. The only light in her room being her candle that flickered repeatedly.

It was early. About four in the morning. Dawn hadn't set yet, so Soana believed this to be the perfect time to practice her bending; when Yuri and Reid was asleep peacefully.

With such focus, the princess held her stance and bended the water to flow through the palms of hers hands then around her neck and back.

The water was fluent and smooth as her stance was tall and sturdy.

She turned towards her last apple that was place on the window ledge. She then took the water and used it to slice the fruit down the middle then across to separate it into fourths.

After she was pleased with her cut fruit, she bended the water back into her pouch and put the plug back on to seal it off.

She grabbed her apple that was cut into four pieces and was about to eat it when she heard a creak in the floorboards behind her.

She whipped herself around to see Reid rubbing his tired eyes and holding a ragged stuffed platypus bear.

"What were you doing, Soana?" He asked in his small voice.

She couldn't speak. She was frozen on the spot, hoping he wouldn't say anything.

He stopped rubbing his eyes.
"Are you a water bender?"

She held her breath and panicked inside until she thought.
"Reid, it's really early for you to be up. I think you're seeing things."

"But I watched you. You made the water cut the," He stared at the cut apple in Soana's hands and paused.
"Is that an apple?"

She nodded, still a bit rattled by this little boy spying on her.
"Can I have some?"

Soana felt a bit relieved but it wasn't enough to not be worried.

Reid went to the sleeping mat on the floor and plopped him down as Soana placed one of the pieces in his hand.
"Thank you."

He chomped into it the second Soana gave it to him. He must have been starving if he was eating like that.
"Momma hasn't been out to the market yet to get food for us. She says we need money to buy food, but she hasn't made any for a while."