Ungroundable (E)

Alexa, Katie, and I grabbed our coffee from the counter and walked to our seats. We were once again in Wired.

"Oh, hey, karaoke tonight," Katie pointed towards the banner on the wall.

"Not gonna happen after my mom sees this," Alexa told us, taking off her backpack and handing me a paper. Katie leaned over to look at it as well.

"You got a D on your Algebra test?" Katie yelled, making me flinch. She just had to yell right in my ear, huh?

"Louder, Katie. I don't think they heard you over the cappuccino machine."

"You got a D on your Algebra test," Barry repeated.

"How did this happen? I'm great at math."

"This is high school math, okay? Everyone's struggling," I told her.

"What did you get?" Alexa asked.

"An A, but it was a struggle," I insisted.

"Look, we'll go to karaoke another night," Katie said.

"Not in this decade," Alexa sighed. "When Lucas got a D, he was grounded forever. So take a good look at this face. Who knows when you'll see it again?"

"Well, we'll see you at school and probably through your bedroom. Oh, we can Facetime," I listed.

"I'm making a point, Y/n!"

"Do you want me to remember that face?"

"How about this face?" Alexa said, making another weird face.

"Yeah. Yeah, that's better," Katie smiled.

"Ok, I need a plan to ease her into the D," Alexa said as we all stood in the Mendoza kitchen making sandwiches. "I'll tell her how pretty she is. No, too obvious. I'll ask her how her day was."

"Oh, yeah. Asking about their days, that's like mom Christmas," Katie said.

"Oh, hey, honey," Lori greeted Alexa as she came down the stairs. "Hi, Katie, Y/n."

"Hi, Mom! How was your day?" Alexa asked.

"Me? My day? Oh, well, let's see. Um... Well, our printer ran out of ink, so I had to go to the office supply store. But when I got there, I forgot what cartridge we use, so then I called your father. He was no help because he was landing the plane and 'couldn't be interrupted.' So, uh, I printed the file at the library."

"The library? No way!" Alexa gasped. "Oh my gosh! Great twist!"

"It wasn't that great."

"You look so pretty."

"Alexa?" Lori said.

"How was your day yesterday?" I asked, trying to help.

"Ok, what's up?" Lori asked.

"I got my first math test back today and...well...here," Alexa said, handing her the paper.

"A D? What happened?"

"Even when you're mad, you look pretty."

"Yeah? Well I'm about to get a whole lot prettier. Honey, you're in high school now. You can't..." She trailed off, sighing. "What I'm trying to say is... try harder next time."

"So that's it?" Alexa asked. "Well, can I go to karaoke tonight?"

"Yeah. Yeah, sure. Wait."

"Yeah, I figured you would change your --"

"Just take a nap first. And wear a sweater, because it's chilly out. And do a Beyonce song. Work's every time," Lori said, weirdly dancing as she walked off.