Chapter 5

"So Mate, what is your next class?" Jackson asked putting an emphasis on the word mate. Class had just finished and I was currently strategizing about how I would find my science class. I had taken about five steps out of the class and into the hall when Jackson had caught up to me. He's being very friendly, to say the least, but I was enjoying it.

"My next class is science," I told him and started walking towards the side of the hall. He followed me and smiled. His eyes glazed over for about 30 seconds before they seemed to focus in on me again.

"That's crazy! So do I Mate!" He said rather loudly. As soon as his nickname for me slipped out about two-thirds of the hallway seemed to freeze. The next thing I know I'm having a repeat of what happened in Mrs. Denvers class. The people that had stopped were now staring at Jackson and me with big eyes with their jaws hanging. Was I crazy or did it look like a few kids bowed their heads?

"This means I can show you to our next class," Jackson brought me back to our conversation. He was smirking and seemed like he was overly proud or something.

"Umm yeah... I mean yes. That would be great," I answered.

Jackson grabbed my hand, sending shocks and warm tingles up my arms while he basically dragged me along to our next class. As we passed students they were still watching us in awe. Okay, it happened again! A skinny boy with glasses definitely bowed his head when we went by. This is so weird! Is Jackson like a bully or something? Is it because he's physically amazing that kids are scared to make eye contact with him or something? Like what is the deal?

We arrived at class where I met the teacher, Mr. Carver. His class went by and nothing particularly special happened except for Jackson. All he did the entire class was stare at me. Okay, he's either planning to kill me or he's super into me. Although from past experiences I know that it could in fact be both. He just wanted to be by me so much it was affecting me a lot. Not all of it was in the oh a cute boy is noticing me... okay maybe most of it. He was also affecting me in the way that I kept thinking about Jerome and his constant watch on me the couple of months before he kidnapped me. I definitely need to get away from him soon or I'm going to have an episode.

Also, I don't even know how this is possible but we have the exact same schedule! I get that it's a small school and all but seriously! That's insane, right? This kind of thing doesn't just happen! I'm seriously about to lose it. In history, Mrs. Fawn seated us right next to each other, and then in chemistry, Mr. Trope also seated us right next to each other. That's the final seating for the year! I'm literally stuck with this guy! He's cute and my eyes are thankful for the blessing of being able to see him, but my anxiety-filled survivor of a terrible thing's mode is now on high alert.

It wasn't until fifth hour during home economics that I wasn't seated by him. As soon as Jackson and I walked into the room the girl that showed me to my first class squealed.

"Ahhh yeah! We have a class together! Come on tall girl get your butt in this seat!" She chanted loudly while going in between patting and pointing to the seat on her right. I don't need to be told twice. I smiled widely and basically sprinted away from Jackson to sit down next to the energetic libero.

"Hi," I said as I sat down. She somehow smiled even bigger and turned to me.

"Heyyyyy!" She said dragging out the y. She flipped her hair over her shoulder and leaned in closer to my face.

"So I talked to track coach about you. He said he would love to see what you got whenever you're ready! He's the PE coach so you'll have him sometime today I'm sure. But anyways, he knows your name, and your description and will probably talk to you about it soon!" She said quickly.