Forest of No Return, Part 1/5

The day started out great. The sun was shining, birds were singing. Life-threatening danger did not seem eminent.

So Varian wonders how they went from that, to being chased through the woods by a pack of angry wolves.

As the gang try their best to lose the pack, Rapunzel gasps. "They're gaining on us!"

"What are these things?!" Cassandra yells.

"Don't worry, it's just a pack of Slayer Wolves," Eugene replies as he drops a bunch of coins into a canteen.

"Don't worry?!" Varian shouts. "We're about to be eaten by wolves! I think that gives us cause to worry!"

Eugene shakes the coins inside the canteen and smiles. "Come on! This way."

"Do we have a choice?" Varian asks as he glances behind him and sees the wolves still close on their heels. The gang follow after Eugene, only to end up facing a rock wall with nowhere to go.

 The gang follow after Eugene, only to end up facing a rock wall with nowhere to go

"Dead end! We're goners!" Lance cries. "Aw, please wolves, don't eat me! I'm too chewy!" He then adds, "Oh, who am I kidding? I'm probably moist and delicious."

     "It's not a dead end, Lance," Eugene explains, holding up his coin-filled canteen

"It's not a dead end, Lance," Eugene explains, holding up his coin-filled canteen. "It's just got good acoustics."

Varian suddenly understands Eugene's plan. He glances around, and sure enough they are surrounded by rock walls. Eugene shakes the canteen like a rattle, and the sound echoes loudly throughout the valley. The wolves whimper and howl, then finally run away and leave the gang alone. Eugene smiles triumphantly.

"That was incredible, Eugene!" Rapunzel says, hugging him.

"Oh man, Eugene's back and better than ever!" Lance says.

"Yeah, you're the king of the wild!" Hook Foot shouts excitedly.

"I'll admit, it was a pretty good plan. I'm just surprised I didn't think of it first," Varian says jokingly.

Eugene smiles proudly. "Alright, everybody. Let's hit the road!"

As Eugene drives the caravan, Rapunzel, Cassandra, and Varian sit next to him while Lance, Hook Foot, and Shorty hang out on top. As usual Pascal is on Rapunzel's shoulder, and Ruddiger is curled up asleep in Varian's lap.