Chapter 23: Near death experience

I felt my blood running cold at the name, feeling tight knots in my stomach as my heart beat sped up.

"...How?" I carefully asked, not wanting to show her how afraid I felt.

She let out a high tone laugh, her head looking up at the ceiling before falling back down. The same smile was still on her face as she answered my question, "You don't know me but I know you,"

"I've known you since we were in high school. I know what you like and dislike, where you live, how you always liked eating chocolate right before exams-"

"Wait stop." I cut her off, holding my hand up. "How do you know all of this? And how did you know I was Alice in this body?"

"I've known you since high school. When I watched you in school, I could tell it was you immediately." she answered my question but it made me feel even more uncomfortable.

"Then why did you poison the cookies?"

"At first I thought why not get the prince? But after I found you I realised I couldn't do that. All I need is you." she smiled sweetly at me but all I felt was chills down my spine.

"I tried to get that stupid prince away from you but it never works so I decided a simple plan. I would poison you and take you away so nobody will bother us." she added on. I could hear her heavy breathing as she continued speaking, her body shaking from excitement.

"Unfortunately, the poison didn't seem to set in until quite late so my plan had failed but that's alright!"

I took a step back.

"I got you now Alice. Do you know how long I have been waiting for this day? Even back then! I followed you everywhere, thinking when was the right time and everything. And when that accident happened and killed you, I couldn't bear it that I killed myself!" her voice was getting louder and shakier.

"And I will not allow anyone to get in between us."

She took a step forward while I took a step back. I could hear my heart beating fast and loud as Lucy kept taking a step forward, closing in on me.

"Why...why are you doing all of this?" I stammered out, unable to contain my fear.

Seeing the state I was in, Lucy's smile grew wider making her seem crazy. Short giggles kept coming out of her lips, "Because I love you."

My heart dropped as she leaped on me. Using my fast reflexes, I dodged her and smashed the window with my magic.

"Don't run away from me, Alice! We're meant to be together!" she shouted, pushing me to the ground, her hands wrapped around my throat, choking out the air from my lungs.

I tried to remove her grip but she was strong.

"I'm doing this for us! We can run away together! I did everything for you Alice! Everything! Why can't you understand that?!" she kept screaming, using more strength as she kept choking me.

I felt my head going fuzzy as I wasn't getting enough air.

"I'll make you understand. You'll love me just as much as I do.." she muttered, a sinister smile plastered on her face.

I felt my body growing weaker.

'Am I going to die?'

I couldn't hear my surroundings anymore, only ringing muffled sounds. I slowly released my grip on Lucy and was about to pass out when a bright light shone, blinding her.

Screaming from the pain at the sudden brightness, her grip around my neck disappeared as she fell to the ground. My body was then lifted up in a swift motion. With what little consciousness I had left, I looked up at the person who had saved me.