Chapter 158 - The Meeting

Guys... :)

"Alexandra." Voldemort's cruel voice crept around her, making her shiver. They were in an empty classroom, and she gripped her wand tightly in her hand. "As much a pleasure as always."

"The same to you." Al turned and looked into his red eyes, wanting to kill him, to have it over with. But she couldn't - not without destroying the horcruxes first. "You've been asking quite a bit to see me," she said stiffly.

"I wish for you to join me," he said simply. Al laughed and his eyes narrowed. "You have not changed since we last met."

"Oh, I've changed," Al promised, "Most likely for the worse."

"For you or for me?" Voldemort asked calmly.

Al narrowed her eyes and paused. "I'm not sure yet."

"You've mastered your power," he pointed out.

"I don't think such power could ever be mastered," Al said cryptically, "But there is a certain amount of control, yes." A bell rang, signalling the end of fourth period. "What can you give me?"

"Power," Voldemort said, "Lot's of it."

"I don't want power," Al said shortly, "If that's all you have to offer then our conversation is over."

"You don't want power," Voldemort echoed, "You won't join me for the honour, even though you can see you are losing. Gold? No." he paused, "Love."

"Love?" Al scoffed, "I have love-"

"And I can take it away," Voldemort said. A shiver shot down Al's spine. "Harry Potter will die. He will die by my hand. He cannot be spared. You've found a friend in Daphne Greengrass? And Neville Longbottom?" Al didn't say a word, but nevertheless he nodded. "I am told you are not so fond of Draco Malfoy or Theodore Nott. Because of their association with me, perhaps?"

"Theo isn't a Death Eater," Al pointed out.

"No," Voldemort agreed, "But his father is. You are engaged to George Weasley, the blood traitor. A poor choice but a choice nonetheless. And then there is there werewolf - Remus Lupin. Avery told me all about him. A curious relationship you have, but there is 'love'. If that's what you want to call it." Al stayed completely still while he paced. "I will spare all of them."

There was a lump in Al's throat. "And their families?"

Voldemort whirled round to face her. "The Longbottoms, the Greengrasses, the Weasleys and the Lupins," he listed. "All of them." Al hated herself for it, but it was tempting. Everyone she loved...all safe from this war. No more loss...Harry would be the last time she had to suffer...

And then she shook herself out - how could she be so selfish? Jeopardise the Wizarding World for her own wishes?

"Not good enough," she said, regretting each word as it left her mouth.

Voldemort nodded, and his wand hand twitched, but he didn't do anything. "Hogwarts," he said, "You like it here. I can give you Hogwarts."

"You can't just give me-" she began, but stopped at the look on his face.

"I see that I'm not getting through to you," he said, "So you get through to me. What is it you want?"

Al laughed. "I want you and all your Death Eaters thrown in Azkaban and the key destroyed. I want you finished." In a movement most would have missed, Voldemort drew his wand, but before he could cast a spell, Al conjured her white flames and cocooned them around her.

"Avada Kedavra!" she heard Voldemort shout. There was a thud, like a glass being dropped on a carpet, and then complete silence. Mustering all the energy she had, she pushed her soul magic outwards. The effect was blinding - no man or monster would be able to see through it. She sprinted through the classroom door and was up onto the fifth floor by the time she heard a yell of anger and a shock wave rippled through the castle. But she was safe. She could only hope everyone else was too.

*****

"Al!" Daphne said as she ran into the Room of Requirement. "Terry Boot came back from Transfiguration early and said we all had to stay in our common rooms. What's going on?" There was a group of twenty dotted around the room, each staring at her intently while she caught her breath.

"Neville and Daphne," she said, "In my office. The rest of you stay in here and I'll let you know what's going on. Just give me ten minutes." Looking panicked, Daphne and Neville followed her into her office, which had a layer of dust having not been cleaned in a while. "You-Know-Who was here," she said quickly, "He tried to make me a deal."

"What was it?" Daphne asked, sitting in a chair while Neville stood by the door and Al paced.

"I become a Death Eater-" Neville snorted, "In exchange for your lives."

"What?" they said together.

"He told me that he'd spare you and your families and the Lupins and the Weasleys if I joined him," Al explained quickly.

"Well you said no," Neville pushed, while Daphne looked uncertain. "Al?"

"Of course I said no," Al snapped. "What do you think, Daphne?"

"I just..." she began, "my sister..." she paused, taking a breath to steady herself. "You did the right thing."

"Are you sure?" Al said, frowning. Maybe if Daphne wanted her to take the deal it would be easier to justify it.

Daphne hesitated. "Yes," she said firmly. She meant it.

"I'm sure the Weasleys and the Lupins would say the same," Neville said reassuringly. Al nodded, now convincing herself she was right. "How did you escape?"

"A lot of magic," Al admitted, "My soul magic thing I have-" Daphne and Neville looked at each other, clearly wondering if the other knew about it, "I cocooned it around myself like a shell, then exploded it and legged it."

"Was that rumbling sound you then?" Daphne asked.

"No," Al said, "No, that was him. After he saw that I'd gone."

Neville let out a low whistle. "What d'you think he's gonna do?"

Al shrugged. "He'll probably - no, hopefully - take it out on the Carrows. Little bit of torture will be nice and cathartic for him. And ironic for them." Daphne snorted.

"I suppose you better tell everyone else then," Neville said with a sigh, and Daphne stood up.

"Yeah," Al said, taking a deep breath a preparing for all the questions, and all the white lies that would follow, "I suppose I should."

*****

Al was late. Two months late. Which could only mean one thing: she was pregnant. Taking a deep breath, she poured herself a cup of tea and forced a smile into the mirror. She'd always wanted kids, she knew that. But she thought that she'd at least have George there with her when she found out. Or her Ma. Merlin - even Harry at this point. But she couldn't tell any of them. In fact, she couldn't tell anyone, not until George knew anyway. But when would she be able to tell him?

The bell rang and Al headed off to Transfiguration. She had bigger fish to fry before the baby bump started to show. NEWTs to take, a wedding to plan. Oh, and a war to fight.