#29 You're breaking up with me?

Thursday

Thursday.

The first day during this week I've actually felt happy waking up here.

I allowed my thumb to trace over my lips, memories of the unexpected, heated moment Liam & I shared last night come flooding back. Skilled lips made my inexperienced ones swell in the most delicious way.

"what's wrong with you this morning, you're acting weird." Tia asked whilst rubbing a towel through her wild curls.

She didn't know about my midnight dip with Liam let alone how I gave Liam my first real kiss under the natural glow of the moonlight. I wanted to keep it that way. Tia would make a big deal of it and would jump to conclusions, I didn't need her filling my mind with that. Deep down I knew the kiss probably meant nothing to Liam, he does this with girls all the time. I shrugged Tia's accusation off as being tired and thankfully she seemed to buy it.

***

Coach had the team really go at it during this mornings practice, the tournament is tomorrow and it's a pretty important one because if they win then they can play in the next one. At the start of the week everyone was partying and barely made it through their practices. As the week went on they seemed to straighten themselves out and today the effort they put in was  inundating. 

A thin layer of frost sprinkled across the grass but most of the team had their shirts off, attracting the attention of the cheerleaders who were about the only athletes slacking today. Liam wore his red jersey like it guarded his heart and soul but his hair was soaked with sweat, every now and again he would run his fingers through it and it pained me to know he looked this good when hot and bothered.

I think everyone was pleased when coach blew his whistle to end practice. Tia & I jumped up off the bench and started gathering up the soccer balls that lay in different areas of the pitch. Out of my side vision I could see Liam hovering sheepishly. He was rubbing his neck and chewing up the inside of his lips, he looked nervous. He picked up a soccer ball and brought it over to me.

"Hi" he said, trying to act casual, anyone else would buy it but not me. 

"Hi" I replied, taking the soccer ball off him and dumping it in my net bag.

"About last night..." he started, and I already knew what he was going to say before the words left his lips. "You know it doesn't mean we are dating, right?" 

Wait, Liam actually questioned if I would be naive enough to think that? He looked really nervous like he was ripping a bandaid off a small child and it made me want to toy with him so I threw on a sad expression and looked Liam dead in the eyes.

"You're breaking up with me?" 

Silence grew louder between us as Liam froze on the spot, paled slightly and stuttered to form his next sentence, this is a completely different Liam than I've seen so far. I'm not sure he quite knew how to react. His hand reached up to rub the back of his neck again, I'm pretty sure redness was appearing on the surface of his skin.