Teenage Runaways

"Aang? Where are you going?" Kireina whispered, gazing at her younger brother as he snuck down the hallway

     "Oh, Rein, you're awake." Aang responded, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "I'm, uh, just taking Appa out for a scenic flight."

     "It's pouring rain and pitch black, let's try this again. Where are you going?" She crossed her arms over her chest and quirked an eyebrow.

     Aang sighed and looked down at his feet, "I'm running away, please don't tell Gyatso."

     "Alright, let me grab my things." Rein replied nonchalantly, turning on her heel and returning to her bedroom. Aang was hot on her trail, a million questions running through his head.

     "You're coming with me? Rein... you don't have-"

     She cut him off quickly, "You're my little brother, the world will end before I let you out of my sight." Aang's eyes lit up, an overwhelming amount of love filling his body. He adored his older sister more than anyone else in the world. "We really should wait out this storm, it's too dangerous to fly under these conditions."

     Aang waved her off, claiming it would die down shortly after take off. Kireina reluctantly took his word and followed him to Appa, who gave her the sloppiest kiss when she approached him. He looked miserable in the rain, more so annoyed than anything. Aang loaded his saddle with their bags then used his air bending to jump into it, ushering his sister to do the same. She followed his actions and within seconds they were flying away from the Air Temple.

     "You never asked me why I'm running away." Aang pointed out, yelling slightly over the loud rain.

     Rein shrugged her shoulders in response. "Being the Avatar is too much pressure on a kid, I get it." He was shocked at her answer considering it was like she read his mind. "The Monks teach us a lot about destiny, Aang, if you're running away from yours then maybe that's your fate. This world works in mysterious ways but if I've learned anything from living at the Temple, it's that every choice you make is the one you were destined to follow."

     Aang opened his mouth to express his love for his sister but was cut off by Appa's groaning. The storm was picking up, the rain pounding harder sending the bison lower and lower towards the ocean below. Kireina instinctively reached for Aang's arm as they plummeted into the water.