Chapter 2

Miranda's POV

It wasn't until dessert that he started conversing with us.

"How was school?" he asked me in a cool voice.

"School was well father," I replied.

"I hear you took a test today. What class was it for?" He asked me, maintaining the same unhurried, unimpressed demeanor.

"Biology," I responded, hoping he wouldn't ask how it went.

"Do you know what grade you got on it?" His voice had risen a smidge, as if he already knew the answer. I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

I swallowed my spoonful of choco-flan before replying, "An A Sir."

He slammed his palm onto the table. I tried not to flinch at the sound. The table rattled as he stared me down. "You should be getting only +As!" He yelled his voice sounding almost like a rumble of thunder.

My mother reached over and placed her hand on top of my father's and rubbed it soothingly. "Don't worry Dear. Miranda is a good student. She will do better in the future. Won't you Darling?"

"Of course, Mother!" I stated with more conviction than I felt.

"See to it. Your birthday is coming up, I would hate for you to be grounded for breaking your word." He stated in a threatening tone.

I nodded, "Of course Father." He only grunted in reply as he turned his attention to his wife. Completely ignoring my existence for the rest of the meal.

~*~

After I had finished eating, I neatly placed my hands on my lap, waiting for my parents to finish their conversation.

During a lull, I looked up from my lap, "Father?" I called, gaining his attention. "May I be excused?" He simply waved his hand. I curtsied to my parents before exiting up the stairs.

After I entered my bedroom, shutting the door softly behind me.

I felt tears pool in my eyes, this always happens. He gets mad at work and then takes it out on me and mom. I was sick of it. I curled up into a ball and choked back a sob. The worst part was, I knew that if I messed up again, he would ground me. He never breaks his promise.