Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

As we lay staring into each other's eyes, sleep escaped us. I rolled onto my back, so I could look through the sky light, at the night sky. I could see the moon. It seemed to be growing fuller by the moment. I reached my hand to my chest and let my fingers dance across the details of my medallion. Landen rolled to his side and stared down at the sun and crescent moon. I sensed his confusion.

"Do you really think we lived before?" I asked him.

He looked from the medallion into my eyes. "I've never given credit to the myth of living past lives before," he whispered, "but I know I've seen you wear this before." He looked back to the sun and the moon.

"Are there any other myths about travelers?" I asked in a light-hearted tone, reaching for his face to trace his perfect profile.

Landen smiled and looked back into my eyes. "Some believe that the gifted travelers are the oldest souls bound by past lives," he answered, tilting his head and smiling at me as his eyes searched my face.

"I guess that means our families have always been with us," I whispered.

I heard him laugh under his breath. "Right now, I don't know if I'd see that as a positive," he said, trying to hold the sarcasm out of his tone.

I playfully glared at him.

"I didn't mean it," he said, wrapping his arm around my waist. "I just want to know what we're up against so I can protect you. It bothers me that my father doesn't think I'll be able to handle it."

"You're wrong. I can almost guarantee you that your father thinks you can handle anything. He has a strong pride that comes from him every time he looks at you." Seeing his doubt I went on. "Maybe he's the one that can't handle it. I don't think my father or Livingston can either."

"August will tell us," Landen murmured.

"Does your father realize that?"

"My grandfather has always played peacemaker between me and my father. He has a way of making my father let go and me slow down both at the same time."

"Maybe that's what our fathers are waiting on, the peacemaker."

"He should be home soon..."

"Do you think they lost the star when Justus and Livingston went to bring home Adonia?" I asked, rolling to my side so I could get closer to him.

Landen arched a brow "Livingston is the only one besides Justus that's ever been inside the Blakeshire Palace."

"Why did Beth go with them? Why didn't they take more travelers?"

"August told me that just before I was born, that the storms were so bad that travelers would be gone for months at a time. Justus and Livingston were the only ones close enough to go. Beth was from Esterious, so she went to help them find a new way in the palace."

"I think it's strange that no one knows where Beth and Adonia are," I muttered as I furrowed my brow.

"Marc and I do as well. Marc is convinced that Beth is locked in that palace and that he needs to bring her home." Unconsciously his arms flexed for an instant around my body.

"What do you think?" I whispered.

"I know that if I were Adonia and I lost my soul mate, I wouldn't want to live anymore, and if I were Beth, no palace would be able to hold me."

"Are they as strong as you?"

"I've never met them."

I felt my eyes growing heavy and smiled at Landen.