Changing Times

Y/N's POV
We ran as fast as we could to the ship, but the crew said they weren't able to see them when they arrived anyway.

We were back to square one.

Zuko ordered the crew to find out everything they could, he was so desperate, he was so angry, my heart broke knowing what his father was putting him through.

I followed the rest of the crew out of the room but Zuko grabbed my wrist,

"Wait, Y/N, how about you and I go outside and talk?"

I nodded, Zuko shouted after the captain:
"I want you to head further into the earth kingdom, the avatar is clearly looking to master all of the elements, he's heading into the earth kingdom to find a master."

I followed him out onto the front of the ship as we sailed further into the earth kingdom.

"So, Zuko, you seemed to have changed a lot in the time you've been away"

He looked at me, baffled,
"What do you mean I've 'changed'? Are you talking about the hair?"

I chuckled,
"No, I mean... you're angry, I've never seen you in so much constant rage."

He sighed,
"Y/N, it's just hard, my father banished me from my own kingdom, I've not been home in three years. I haven't seen my father, Azula, you or anyone else in so long. I just, I really want to go home."

I put my hand on his shoulder,
"You will go home, I promise."

He smiled at me,
"Well what about you? You've changed."

I raised an eyebrow,
"How so?"

"Well, your fighting is incredible, but I guess I should've expected that, considering all the training you were doing, and you've grown, you're really- you're really pretty"

His cheeks dusted a light pink but he cleared his throat before continuing:
"How's Mai? And my sister and Ty Lee?"

"Actually, I was recently granted permission to finally see battle and was sent to act as a guard in Commander Zhao's harbour until I turn sixteen in a few months. Don't worry lover boy, your little girlfriend is doing fine, she left with her dad a few weeks ago to help with the occupations we have in the earth kingdom, Ty Lee left about a year ago to join the circus and your sister is strong as ever and serves at your dad's right hand"

Zuko looked annoyed,
"Mai is not my girlfriend!"

I shrugged,
"Whatever you say..."

He then found his composure and continued,
"I'm not surprised about Azula and Ty Lee, Azula was always my father's favourite and Ty Lee has always been weird. I'm not surprised about you either, Y/N, you're talented, I'm proud of you"

He smiled at me before coming to a sudden realisation and frowning,
"That was your dream, to see the battle field, but you gave it up to help me..."

I placed my hand on his face and tilted his head so he was facing me,
"Zuko, all I've wanted for the past three years is for you to come home. I'm not only here for you, I'm also being a little selfish too, so don't worry about that, okay?"

He blushed a deep red before nodding and pulling away from me,

"So, what company have you been keeping whilst I've been gone? Any new friends? Maybe a boyfriend" he teased and nudged me.

I laughed,
"Nope, just hard core training. Although, I do hang out with your sister more, I think I could definitely take her in a fight."

He rolled his eyes,
"My sister is a sadistic freak"

"Hey, she's not so bad. But you two definitely have opposite ways of thinking. And don't worry Zuko, you'll always be my favourite"

I jokingly tapped his nose and laughed. Then I stood up and asked,

"How about a little training? Or have you gotten rusty over the years that you've been gone?"

He smirked stood up, before realising,
"Y/N, you know you can't bend out here."

"Why not? We're surrounded by the sea! We aren't in the palace, your father can't see us."

He raised his eyebrows at me,
"You know what'll happen if word gets out that you're a water bender."

"I don't care anymore, though!"

He folded his arms,
"What about your parents? What do you think my father will do to them if he finds out what you are? Think about it, Y/N, if you're a water bender, then where are your parents from. One of them would've had to descend from the water tribe."

I sighed and slumped onto the ground in defeat, I had sometimes wondered why I was a water bender, I never told my parents, neither of them are benders to my knowledge and who knows how they'd react if they found out. They're so loyal to our nation that they might even tell Fire Lord Ozai...

"You're right, I know, I just, ugh, I wish it wasn't like this!"

Zuko patted myself shoulder in attempt to comfort me but I just brushed him off,

"I'm fine, don't worry about me"

We sat in silence for a while, but it wasn't awkward, it was a comfortable silence, I enjoyed being in his presence and I think he felt the same.

I was in deep thought, what would happen when Zhao reports that I've gone missing? Will they realise that I left with Zuko? What will my mother do? My parents will probably be so disappointed in me, I've really let them down.

Zuko interrupted my trail of thoughts with:
"I really missed you, Y/N"

I smiled before returning:
"I missed you too, Zuko"