Chapter 15

Isla's POV

"Don't give me that attitude Sandrine," Yann groaned, pinching his nose bridge. 

"What attitude Yann? Huh?" she shrieked. 

We were in the middle of a mall. 

"Stop making a scene," Yann muttered, pulling her by the arm. Sandrine scoffed, glaring at her brother. Her purse swung as she crossed her arms angrily. 

"Je fais pas une scène (I'm not making a scene!)" she exclaimed, yanking her arm out of his grip. 

"What's this about?" I whispered to Mathieu who was walking beside me, trailing behind the quarreling siblings. 

"Honestly have no idea. Yann must've told her she was being rude," Mathieu whispered back. 

"About...?"

"Not sure," he shrugged. 

"Oi, what are you two gossiping about," Saskia called, jumping on our shoulders. I let out a huff of air as she dangled in between Mathieu and I. 

"The wicked witch of the west," Mathieu grinned, shoving my shoulder with a teasing smile on his face. 

"Real talk though, have you spoken to Elliot?" Linette asked suddenly. I shook my head making a face. 

"Not since last week."

"He's been in a mood since that day," Mathieu mused, a thoughtful look on his face. 

"When is he not?" I sighed, rolling my eyes. 

"True," Linette nodded. 

"Actually he said he would meet us in the lot at 7," he said looking down at his watch, "Which is in 10 minutes."

We had been aimlessly trailing behind Yann and Sandrine who where still arguing. Loudly. In the middle of a crowded mall. I wasn't aware of the looks we were getting earlier, but now the dirty looks were pretty obvious. How embarrassing. 

"Um, guys, let's maybe move out to the car park," I suggested, pushing Yann's shoulder gently. 

"Yeah good idea," he said rolling his eyes. "Since she can't shut up."

"Do not turn this on me," Sandrine spat, jabbing her finger at his chest.

"Ok, you guys, this is getting a bit ridic-" I started. 

"Shut the fuck up! Who the fuck said you could speak between us?!"

"OK, woah, I'm just trying to get y'all to calm down. Let me remind you, we're in public."

"Who do you think you are?" she shrieked, shoving my shoulders. I was caught by complete surprise, stumbling back. It was as if someone flipped a switch on her. Banshee mode activated. 

"You think you can just show up here and act like you know everything? Acting like you're everyone friend? I mean I knew Americans wanna be friends but you're just nosy."

Every word she spoke, she took a step towards me. I wasn't even processing the words she was saying. All I felt was a burning hatred towards her. What right did she have to yell at me? Take her anger out on me? 

And I wasn't one to take the blows. I fought back. But I couldn't this time. Because fighting with hatred is the most dangerous combination. 

"Say something!" Sandrine yelled, her voice making my head pound. "What? Cat caught your tongue? For someone who can't shut up when she's ask, you've gotten quiet."

"Back off Sandrine," I mumbled, looking past her. I focused on the trees in the distance. 'Remember Marleen. Remember Marleen. Remember Marleen,' I repeated

"Hmm? What was that? Did you guys hear something?"

"Sandrine, stop it," Yann demanded, his eyes flashing with anger. 

"Or what?"

She opened her mouth to continue her verbal assault, but someone stopped her. 

"Sandrine," a voice said from the right of where I stood. Turning my head, I found my self looking at the one and only, Elliot. 

"Elliot," Sandrine exclaimed, plastering a flirty smile on her face. Only Elliot's expression was the complete opposite. His eyes glinted with hidden anger as his jaw ticked. The brooding expression on his face sent shivers down my spine. When his eyes locked with mine, I felt the full force of his angry glare. Odly enough, Elliot's expression softened as his gaze fell on me. 

"Mind explaining what the hell is going on here?" he asked lowly, staring daggers at Sandrine. 

"Isla was bei-"

"She wasn't doing anything," Saskia cried, her eyebrows furrowing in irritation. 

"Well it's not my fault she's a bitch!" Sandrine exclaimed, throwing her hands up. 

"Ok, you know what- I'm done here," I said, putting my hands up. I walked past Sandrine, only to feel a sharp pull on my skull. A gasp left my lips as my hands went up to my ponytail. 

"That's enough."

I turned around to find Sandrine's right hand tangled in my ponytail and her left wrist captured in Elliot's hold. 

"Let her go," he demanded, immediately prompting her to drop my ponytail. 

"Go home Sandrine," Yann sighed, rubbing his forehead. 

"Wha-but you believe me right Elliot?"

"Leave."

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The car ride back was silent - as usual. I rolled down the window, feeling suffocated in the car. After Sandrine left, Elliot had dragged me to his car. I didn't protest. I wasn't in the mood to argue anymore. 

Elliot's knuckles were white and I could feel that he was holding back from saying something. That was good. Not talking was good. 

Stop trying to be my friend.

Leave me alone. 

Acting like you're friends with everyone. 

The words swirled in my mind as I sat in the car. I hated feeling like this. Now I was second guessing all my relationships. 

Do Mathieu and Yann find me annoying? And Saskia and Linette? Oh god, does my sister find me annoying? Is that why she hasn't called? I'm pestering her aren't I? Maybe I should stop being so extroverted. 

"Isla, did you hear me?" Elliot asked, looking at me. I turned my head slowly to look at him before shaking my head. 

"We're here," was all he said, stepping out of the car. This time he didn't open my door. 

I guess he's still mad at me. Just like the rest of my friends. 

I stopped in my tracks as a thought hit me like a truck. 

Sandrine and Yann were only arguing amongst each other before I stepped in. The look of anger on Yann's face directed to his sister made me realize that I may have just ruined their relationship. What kind of person was I? I just broke a bond between siblings. 

Stupid Isla. You should've just kept quiet. 

My eyes watered as I realized what I'd just done. I brought my hand up to my lips, looking up at the stars. 

'I trust you,' I whispered to the stars before going into the house. 

My peripheral vision caught Elliot standing by the door, almost as if he was waiting for me. I didn't wait around, heading straight up to my room to clear my muddled thoughts. 

That meant I was sleeping under the stars tonight.