Chapter 8

Lilah unlatched the front door moments after Edward had rung the bell. She was wearing a navy blouse and peach skirt that went below her knees. Her sleek blonde hair fell upon her shoulders and her makeup was on point. 

"Hello, Lilah!" He greeted her, coming to the first name basis. 

"Hello, Edward, isn't it?" She moved away to let him come inside.

"Sorry for intruding like that, " he corrected, his voice stuck somewhere between polite and scratchy.  "Is Estella home? I tried reaching her phone but..."

"Oh yes, of course." She said, striding across the living room. Estella must have discussed all details about him as she gave him a warm smile and welcomed him inside. "She's upstairs. I'll let her know you are here." 

Edward played with his lighter while Lilah was gone upstairs. Every time the small object lit up, her thoughts reappear.

Her house was twice the size of the penthouse he owned.  The living room of Sergeant's house was decorated  with luxurious couches and chandeliers hanging over him, the kitchen— massive, equipped with every modern design and facilities. 

Footsteps of two people coming down cut through the train of his thought and he instantly sank the lighter into the pocket.

"Edward, " Estella said as her high ponytail swayed left and right when she walked. She tucked the few strands behind her ear and approached him while he failed to read her expression so he couldn't tell if she was eager to see him or excited for the work.

Estella was wearing a yellow spaghetti top and jeans, her face clean and hair neatly combed. She was either going out or she had just come in. 

"What are you doing here?"

"I was hoping we'd seal the deal tonight," he said. "What's say?"

"We were suppose to do that like a week ago."  

"I was out of town, " he stated in his defense. He couldn't exactly tell he was actually gone to another state. 

"Not that I don't understand that people have a life but you have my number, you could just message me." Her jewel eyes pierced his dark one.

"I'm sorry. Sometime it's too hectic, " he said calmly. That's when Lilah sighed and strode back to her kitchen, probably to prepare coffee for both of them. 

"Well, if you say so, " she said, plopping down on the couch.

"Were you going out?" He pointed at her dress.

"Nah," she said. "Just came in. Mom and I went for some shopping." 

"Well you look lovely," he complimented, swiftly withdrawing his eyes off her, occupying himself with a magazine that was lying on the table, leaving Estella in a sort of puzzled trance. Never had once he had tried to flirt with her, or made a move. His stance was always inclined  professionally.

"A..umm.. thank you." She muttered, almost whispering.

"Anyway, why weren't you picking up my calls?" He asked.

She pursed her lips in a straight line and answered after a few seconds. "I don't know. My temper sometimes gets in the way."

He nodded. "You have to know there will be days when I won't be around. You need to understand that. At those time, I'll leave the decisions to you. I know you'll do a good job."

"You're stating as if all of this is your idea." She said, her tone as respectful as it could be.

"Yes, it's yours but I'll be bringing just as much as you on the table." He said. "Don't worry. You're the boss."