Question or Command

We got back to the Lodging House at 5:45. Race was hiding behind an arm chair and would quickly pop out. Honeybelle was fascinated by this. When we closed the door, the kitten ran to pounce on Race. He jumped up and slid behind the kitchen counter. Honeybelle skittered after him and pounced on the boy. He fell over dramatically. I looked at Elmer, grinning.

"She's havin' fun." He commented. Race looked at and smiled.

"I's heard 'bout cats playin' like this." The blond boy told us. "She likes it."

"How long's ya been goin'?" I asked, sitting on the couch.

(A/n: I just watched Teen Beach Movie, and the bikers sound like Newsies.)

"I ain't sure." He looked at the clock.

"'Bout half an hour." Buttons piped up from the armchair.

"You gettin' tired?" Elmer asked. Race shook his head, darting to a different hiding spot. I picked at the aging sofa, grinning. Elmer sat next to me. I took off my hat and stuffed it into my pocket.

"Let's play Questions and Commands." Elmer suggested. Race scooped up the kitten and sat on the other armchair. Buttons sat up, attentive. I crossed my legs on the couch. "Who wants ta first?"

Races hand shot up, the other petting Honeybelle.

"Okay, go." The black haired boy nodded.

"Olive." Race turned to me. "Question or Command?"

"Question." I chose.

"Is ya sista hot?" He asked.

"Couldn't tell ya." I shrugged. "Buttons, Question or Command."

"Command." He replied, puffing out his chest.

"I command ya ta take Race's cigar." I grinned. A cigar was hanging from Race's mouth, unlit. Buttons reached over and snatched it out.

"Hey, that's my cigar!" Race yelped. Buttons shook his head, tapping the end of the cigar against his temple.

"Elmer, Question or Command?" He asked.

"Question." Elmer responded.

"Is Olive's sista hot?" Buttons grinned. By now, more boys had joined the game. Albert, Mush, Specs, Jack, Tommy Boy, Crutchie and Finch.

Elmer thought for a second.

"She ain't my type." He responded, then wrapped an arm around my shoulder. "Olive, howeva..."

I felt my face turn red as the boys cooed jokingly. Elmer removed his arm, face just as red as my own. Jack looked at me and gave me a subtle thumbs-up. I rolled my eyes, a smile growing on my face.

"Mush, Question or Command?" The black haired boy asked.

"Uh... Command?" Mush replied, unsure.

"I command ya ta do a hand stand." Elmer ordered. Mush shrugged, stood, and did a little dance. It ended with a handstand.

"At least give me somethin' hard." The boy sat back down. "Crutchie, Question or Command?"

"Command, but nothin' dangerous." Crutchie decided worriedly.

"I command ya to... Hit Jack with ya crutch." Mush grinned. Crutchie and Jack's Jaws dropped.

"What?" The lame boy gasped. "I's could neva!"

"Ya gotta!" Romeo shouted, smiling. "It's a command!"

"Fine!" Crutchie sighed. He then picked up his crutch and lightly bumped it against Jack's shoulder.

"Ow!" Jack cried out in mock pain.

"Ah, c'mon, Jack." Mush rolled his eyes.

"Finch, Question or Command." Crutchie pulled his crutch back against the armrest. Buttons has stood up to let the crippled boy sit.

"Command." Finch crossed his arms.

"I command ya to give Olive your slingshot so's she can shoot somethin' at ya." Crutchie grinned. Finch sighed and tossed me his sling shot. Elmer handed me a small wad of paper. I carefully aimed at Finch. He was covering his face, so I aimed for his chest. Then I fired.

"Ya got me!" He cried out, then played dead. I grinned. It's just about 11 at this point.

"Ya tired?" I whispered to Elmer.

"Kinda." He admitted. Then yawned. His eyes were already starting to close. Then they did. The boys realized, and turned to me.

"How's things goin' with Elmer?" Romeo asked, he had just come back a little while ago. I shrugged.

"That bad?" The boy looked shocked.

"Nah, we's just friends!" I objected.

"For now." Jack pointed out. I grinned and shook my head. The leader stood and picked up the sleeping boy, as he usually did. Then the three of us went into our room. Jack dumped Elmer on his bed.

"Goodnight." He said as he closed the door.

"Goodnight."