Chapter 12

Remi POV

Me and Luke were walking towards his house after school, to continue our discussion about Rei. They really would have gotten along. They both see the good in everyone and everything, and are both as stubborn as mules. I say to myself as we walk. Before long, we arrive. "Here we are." He announces as he unlocks the door. Once we're both inside and comfortable, we start by talking about things that don't really matter much, like classes. "You want some water?" He asks me. "Water would be nice." I reply. He leaves the room for a few seconds to get some water, and during that time, I look around the room. There's the couch I'm sitting on, across from which is a flat-screen television, a comfy-looking chair facing the tv at a slightly different angle, a coffee table within reaching distance of both the chair and couch, and shelves lined with books and games all around the room. Before long, Luke returns with a glass of water. "Here you go." He says. "Thanks." I respond. "Hey, Luke." I begin. "Yeah?" He says. "Do you share this house with anybody?" I ask. "Yeah, my cousin, John also lives here. Why?" He responds.

"I thought we were going to have a private conversation about this." I respond, agitated. "Oh, yeah. I was trying to tell you, on the way here, that John also wanted to be part of this conversation." He explains. "And why would he want to take part?" I respond, edging ever closer to anger. "Oh, right. I forgot, not many people know. The person who wrote UnOrdinary is actually John's father." He explains. "What?!" I exclaim. John's dad wrote UnOrdinary? I say to myself, incredulous.

"Hey, Luke, I'm back." A voice calls from the entryway, followed by John appearing in the living room. "Ah, you're already here." He says, slightly surprised. "We have the same last class, genius." Luke responds, rolling his eyes. "Well how was I supposed to know that?" John asks, exasperated, causing me to giggle at their little argument. They're just like Blyke and Isen. I think to myself. "Hey, John, can I get some help in the kitchen for a sec?" Luke asks. "Sure." responds John, after which they both depart to the kitchen.

John POV
"So, what did you need help with?" I ask. "I just want to privately chat about your power." He responds. "I'm not becoming a Royal, if that's what you want." I respond, annoyed. "No, I know that already, I just want to know if you'd be comfortable telling Remi about it. To help explain the story behind UnOrdinary." He explains. "Well, she does seem trustworthy…" I respond hesitantly. "If you don't want to, then you don't have to." He says. ".... Fine. Let's tell her." I respond. "Alright, if you're sure." He says, heading back out to the living room.

Remi POV 
What's taking them so long? I mentally groan. As if summoned by my complaint, they emerge from the kitchen, serious looks on their faces. "In order to make complete sense of this, there's something you should probably know first." Luke begins, before shooting an encouraging glance at John, who, in turn, lets out a sigh. "I have an ability." He says, looking straight at me, eyes glowing. "What?! Why pretend to be a cripple?!" I exclaim. "Let me summarize it for you."

Timeskip to after explanation

"That's… definitely a lot to take in. I definitely see why you chose to hide your power." I say. "But, when does UnOrdinary come into this?" I ask. "Well, after the readjustment classes, John was traumatized. He was terrified of what he would do when he rejoined society, and didn't leave his room for weeks. His dad was worried about him, and wrote UnOrdinary as a way to get through to him. It worked, and a few months later, John enrolled here." Luke explains. "So, back to what you were saying earlier, about your brother." Luke says.