The Play Pt.1 (E)

"It was weird, now that people thought Katie had cancer after she took the fall for both me and Y/n. It's not like I wanted to take advantage of it, but what's the point in them thinking all three of us had cancer, right?"

"Here, Katie. I got you a candle," A classmate said as she walked up the the lunch table that seated us. "It smells like birthday cake."

"Oh. Uh...Um...Thanks," Katie chuckled awkwardly.

"Thanks for not ratting me out. I couldn't handle those pitying looks," Alexa said.

"I-Its not that bad," Katie said.

"Really? Not even the concerned head tilts?" I asked. "'How are you, Katie?'"

"How are you, Katie?" Hannah asked, doing the exact same head tilt.

"Hannah, you know I don't have cancer," Katie reminded her.

"I know. But I don't want people to think I don't care," Hannah explained. She placed her hand on Katie's shoulder before loudly proclaiming, "You're my hero!"

"Doesn't it drive you nuts that people treat you differently?" Alexa asked.

"Not that differently," Katie said as a girl came up and hugged her. "Ok, who cares? In the meantime, I'm getting my holiday shopping done early. Merry Christmas, Grandma." I just chuckled at her as she tossed the candle into her bag.

Suddenly, fanfare started playing as the drama teacher entered the cafeteria.

"Attention, students. For those who don't know me, I'm Ms. Rogers," She introduced. "And I'm excited to announce auditions are tomorrow for the fall play. Have you noticed? Love is in the air. For me, anyway. His name is Scott. Not that it's anyone's business. And it's inspired me to choose Romeo and Juliet." Katie looked over to Alexa and I with an excited look on her face. "That's right. We are going to William shake it up a bit. Until then, good morrow, my lords and ladies."

"Aw! Do you remember the last play we were in?" Alexa asked Katie.

"Oh, yeah. Beauty and the Beast," I answered, remembering the play vividly.

"You were Belle and I was a dancing fork," Katie said.

"You were an awesome fork," Alexa laughed.

"I've always wanted to play Juliet."

"Well, it's natural progression from fork to Juliet," I told her. "You should totally sign up."

"Yeah, I-I'm going to," Katie said, standing up. "And this time I won't have to dance around with a meatball on my head."

"I don't know. It's Ms. Rogers," Alexa told her. "Last year she made everyone in The Sound of Music a vampire."

"The hills were alive, but everyone else was dead," I remembered.

"Hey, Mom," Katie greeted as we walked downstairs.

"Hey, guys. How was school?" Mom asked as she cleaned up dirty dishes.

"Great! I signed up to audition for the fall play," Katie told her.

"That's fantastic! Did I ever tell you I was once in a production of My Fair Lady?" She put on a horrible accent and said, "Had a bit of a Cockney accent, I did."

"Yeah, she's not doing that," I laughed. "We're going to Alexa's to work on Katie's audition."

"Sorry, guv'nor, you're supposed to watch--"

"Mom, mom," Katie interrupted, putting a stop to the accent.

"You're supposed to watch Jack. I have to go to school."