E P I L O G U E

The fact that the fifth prince was located in the Western border instead of the Southern border where he earned his glory tells just how vigilant the Emperor towards him.

The neighboring Southern country already made peace with the Empire, their army was devastated after the war. The Empire should take advantage of this moment to conquer them, however, Zhu Deming's throne is still unstable, he has to wait for a year at most before launching a massive campaign against the Southern Country and Western nomads.

Nomads are divided in different tribes so there's no unity with them, they constantly harassed the Empire's Western border in small groups and sometimes in huge number that's why there must be someone formidable there to guard the border and it so happens that Zhu Mingli asked to become a border prince, he just recently won a war and ripped off a lot of spoils of war, making a name for himself. Zhu Deming couldn't guard the Western border anymore since he became an Emperor, Mingli is the best candidate for it.

But being located in the Western border didn't seat well with the fifth prince. The Western border is located in a land of desert, the territory might be wide, stretching from the West to the Eastern territory of the Empire but it was almost desolate. There is only a few plot of land in the East to farm, it was very hot in the West especially during Summer season and when Winter came, it was also especially cold and long compared to other places.

To prevent Mingli from rebelling after gaining a lot of military forces, the Emperor also placed a thousand of his loyal elite soldiers there, they must report anything suspicious about the fifth prince's action.

Western border is a military fortress, there are ten thousands of soldiers who yearly arrived there from different parts of the Empire to train before getting their respective posts. It was definitely not a place for a noble lady like the fifth prince's princess consort, Wei Zhilan. This made Zhu Mingli greatly dissatisfied, how can he let his wife live in such a barbaric place.

What more, he couldn't see his mother, Consort Su, who is now Lady Dowager. His wife couldn't also see her beloved mother.

"Western border isn't that bad, atleast you'll have a huge territory, one fourth of the Empire, no? Besides, the flow of money in your pocket will be in great wave, generals are the most high paid employees in the Empire right now. Merchants also use the Western border as a trade route because it's safe, that's another additional money for you"

Yan Gen tried to lighten the mood as they travelled, he has no qualms about it, really. Well, aside from being cut off from his relatives and friends. No more worrywart Wei Furen, fun cousins, mischievous nephews and nieces, and beautiful friend Li Hua.

"Employees?" Zhu Mingli asked with a frown "Ugh, I mean officials"

"The climate there isn't good, you have such a frail body, won't you fell ill?" He added worriedly to which Yan Gen immediately answered, waving a hand "That won't be a problem. I mean--I'll probably be sick every now and then at the beginning because of the sudden change in climate but my body will adjust eventually"

Actually, Yan Gen was a bit excited, with Zhu Mingli around, he can freely go around in the Western part of the Empire. Of course, not without guards towing around him as always but it won't be as boring as before. There are also Merchants there, though starting a business sounds impossible for them because the Emperor might suspect them of creating a secret organization or something in preparation of their rebellion.

Still, the flow of money in their territory will go smoothly, no doubt. As long as they don't do anything that will make the Emperor suspect them of rebellion, they'll be fine.

Travelling there on the other hand, is definitely not smooth. It took two months for them to arrive there. There was no built road connecting the Western Empire territories to the capital. This is to prevent a rebellion from the previous border prince, Zhu Deming. The old Emperor was so wary of him that he ignored the other proposals of the civil officials near the Western border, be it of construction of the roads, temples, bridges, anything that will advance those territories were rejected by the old Emperor.