Just a Friend

It was now the day he'd been waiting almost his entire life for. The 2020 NBA Draft was finally here. The Ball's were throwing a draft get together filled with only the people Melo thought he should share this moment with. The time had finally come and we all huddled into the living room sitting in front of the huge smart tv.

"The Golden State Warriors, who have the first pick have decided...." The announcer announced pausing for dramatic effect flashing the top 3 players across the screen who hoped to be picked as number one.

Dropping my head low and clasping my hands together I prayed a quick silent prayer to the Lord. Please let him get it, please let him get it. Were words I chanted in my mind a million and one times as we waited through this torturous pause.

"LaMelo Ball, from the Illawarra Hawks."

We all jumped up and screamed out in joy, hugging one another all feeling ecstatic for our boy. He did it. Melo achieved his wildest dream of being the number one pick. I thanked the Lord quickly, before turning around. Words couldn't explain how happy I was for him, you would've thought this was my dream too.

My happiness died down, as I watched him pick her up and twirling her around. Grabbing her face he started placing sweet victory kisses on her lips and for dramatic effect all around her face.

Instantly my heartached and my ring finger tingled, as it normally did when I was upset about him. They say your ring finger is connected to your heart, and when it breaks you can feel it.

There was no doubt that I was definitely feeling this.

My mind couldn't help but race with thoughts like think that should be me, but I remember that I was just the best friend.

I excused myself, not that anyone really noticed or cared. They were too focused on Melo, whixh I couldn't blame them. Instinctively I made my way out back to the pool. It was something about water that soothes me. Maybe I was a water bender, in another lifetime.

Sticking my feet in the cold water that was illuminated by the pool light, I started Swirling my feet around. Making tiny whirlpools, and laughing, thinking about how Melo and I use to be as kids. Afraid that if we made a whirlpool strong enough we'd drown everyone in the pool. We were so young and so naive.

But I still am. Naive that is. Naive to think star basketball player, LaMelo Ball, would even consider having me as his girlfriend. Even though, I was always there for the late night practices, attended every game, was a shoulder to cry when his dad was too tough. All of that was me, not her.

Shaking my head, I brought my hands to my face. "God, Nelly." I breathed out. "This isn't about you, you should be happy for the boy." I encouraged myself, hoping to feel better, or at least mask the pain. It wasn't right for me to be selfish on his night.

"Hey, Nell." A voice called out making me jump. "Sheesh, Melo. Don't scare me like that." I spoke through heaves, holding my chest.

"What you doing out here?" He reached his hand out for me to grab, and pulled me up. He still had my hand in his and his thumb rubbed it in circles gently. "Oh, I just got hot." I quickly pulled my hand from his fanning myself. "I needed to cool down."

"But, Congratulations hun! I'm so proud of you." I pushed his chest lightly, in a playful manner, even though the Lord knows I wanted to fight him for choosing her over me.

"You know I wouldn't have been able to do this without you, right?" He pulled off the Warriors cap placing it on my head. "I know I never thanked you, but all those endless hours you've spent with me helping me perfect my craft, motivating me to keep going when I wanted to quit, inspiring me to have big dreams, I really appreciate all of that. I appreciate you. You mean the world to me and I couldn't have done all this without you. Thank You."

His lengthy arms stretched out for me to walk in them. Which, I gladly did embracing him tightly and hoping he'd never let me go.

"I couldn't ask for a better best friend. Love you Nel." He said placing his chin on top of my head.

"Love you too... friend."

;
please vote, I wanna get like top 5 in the hashtag LaMelo or Melo, and I can't do that without y'all votes! 😭 if you love this book you'd go back and * vote for every chapter if you haven't.
*comment because I need engagement
* and follow me because why not
-xoxo, Retro