Chapter 25

Chapter 25

A Man Who Could Fly and Two Women Who Save Lives

I stretched my neck from side to side while I was taking steps around the hallway. I didn't stop until I heard cracks that managed to give me a temporary relief.

I finished three out of my five surgeries today. I have two to go.

"I can do this... I'm not going to be scared. I'm a big girl now. And Mommy said that I have my guardian angel with me, hindi niya ako papabayaan..." The kid tried to cheer himself up. She was sitting beside Ramirez the resident who was obviously in his blue scrubs.

I stopped for a while to look at them. Are they related or what?

Ramirez chuckled sabay gulo sa buhok ng bata. "I appreciate your boldness but you're just here for your monthly check up..."

"Yeah but what if the doctor decided to inject me? I needed to brace myself." The girl said, trying to justify herself from overreacting.

I grinned inwardly. I suddenly missed the kids in the charity. Halos dalawang buwan na akong hindi nakakadalaw doon dahil parati akong abala.

Muling natawa si Ramirez. "That's very wise." Napanguso siya at bahagyang napatango.

"Do you believe in angels?" The little girl suddenly asked.

A warm smile crept on Dr. Ramirez's lips. "I do." He said, caressing the girl's hair.

"Me too. Even though I haven't seen one, I still believe in them. But sometimes I wonder how do they look like..."

"I know." Ramirez said, making the girl's eyes grew wide as her mouth let out an excited gasp.

"You do? How do they look like?" She asked, almost jumping on his seat.

"Well, I've seen only one," He said, looking straight on the white wall in front of them with nostalgic smile on his face. "She has long and beautiful hair, expressive eyes with gentle gaze, her features were so soft just like her personality and when she smiles everything turns bright... She's so beautiful and so brave." He explained with sincerity in his voice and eyes.

"Ooh! Did that angel talk to you? Did you have a chance to ask her name?"

He looked at the girl with a gentle smile. "I did... her name's Ariana."

"D-Doc..." My attention towards the two was suddenly pulled back by the familiar voice that makes my blood boil everytime I hear it.

Ikiniling ko ang ulo ko upang harapin siya. My brow automatically arched the moment I saw Nika Alacantara's face.

She gulped. "G-Good afternoon po..." She greeted and she couldn't even look into my eyes. Halos manginig pa siya.

Ganyan nga, Nika. Matakot ka sa'kin.

Women that this society can't bring down are really terrifying. So, I get where your fear is coming from, Nika.

Throw a strong woman into a lion's den, she'll come back roaring with them.

Napangisi ako sa loob-loob ko.

"Mommy!" My eyes widened the moment I heard the little girl's squeal.

She is now running towards our direction and Ramirez was on the girl's back, following her.

"Bree, anak..." Nika kneeled to hug the little girl.

"Dr. Clavel..." Dr. Ramirez acknowledged me. I just simply nodded my head.

"Doc, maraming salamat po sa pagbantay sa anak ko. Nahihiya na po talaga ako sa inyo pero okay na po, tapos na po ang duty ko. Ako na po ang bahala sa kanya." Nika said, looking up at Ramirez while hugging the little girl.