Twelve

Twelve (Edited)

        "Love, it's all right. He's a little... rough around the edges, but overall he's a good person. He's changed for the better," Colton coo's to me as he holds my hand tightly and tries focusing on the road.

        We are on our way to meet Caden, Colton's twin brother, at his house. I've been feeling nauseous ever since Colton got off the phone with him two days ago and confirmed where and when we'd meet. Colton had said that Caden is ecstatic to meet me, but will he be as caring and sweet as my Colton is? Or be rude and brash as he'd been when he'd killed their parents?

        That's another thing I'm not too keen on thinking about. I mean, Caden killed their parents. And Colton forgave him for it! Supposedly, Colton has to put on an act for everyone in his pack that he hates his brother because of the atrocities Caden committed. Nobody knows that behind closed doors Colton has been secretly talking to him. If someone found out, they'd most likely report it to the Ring of Wolves and the Royals would have to come down to evaluate Colton as an Alpha. It's extremely rare, but the Ring of Wolves has been known to strip an Alpha of his title. Something that's both painful and embarrassing.

        "So why did you forgive him?" I asked Colton yesterday as we were laying in bed. I had finally gotten the courage to form those six words into a question. If I was supposed to be Caden's mate then I had to know whether his other mate had good reasons for forgiving him. Although my wolf was beyond exciting to see him (something we came to a mutual agreement was a good thing instead of being hung up on the dreams), I was still wary of Caden at the moment.

        "Because if I had been in his position then I probably would have snapped sooner. I told you that our parents paid more attention to me- I just didn't tell you to what extent. You see, my dad wasn't actually an Alpha. He was a Beta who became an Alpha by default. He ran the pack well enough, so nobody ever saw the need to challenge him. When my mom and him produced not one, but two Alpha's they were shocked. Our goddess wanted us around for some reason and made it happen although it should have been impossible.

        "Anyway, as we grew up I was showing signs as being the more dominant male of us two and my father's title could only be given to either my brother or I. So our parents groomed me to be the perfect leader and left him out. When we hit our teenage years everything changed. My parents were wrong about me being the more dominant one but they didn't want to admit their mistake. Instead they tried to make Caden fade into the background, but what they didn't know was that he was getting stronger every week. By the time we were sixteen the both of us couldn't even listen to our father anymore because it went against our instincts to take orders from a Beta.

        "Our eighteenth birthday is when he finally snapped and killed our parents. Yes, he ruined my eyesight but it wasn't on purpose. When the two of us were fighting it was actually me trying to get him to calm down and take a breather. Him clawing at my eyes is what finally brought him out the his raging state and he fled. I was forced to spin the story and take over as Alpha, forever pretending I hated him. So, to answer your question, I forgive him because he's my brother and my mate, even if he killed our parents whom I loved."

        His long explanation had me fighting off tears. I couldn't believe it. The amount of pain my mate went through is insane. "Do Lance and Jeremy know?"

        "Not even Lance and Jeremy, baby." With that we got out of bed and started our day. It dragged on because I knew the inevitable was coming- today. I'm going to meet Caden, my other half (third? I still haven't figured it out).

        An hour of driving later we pull up to a cozy house that's practically in the middle of nowhere. "Caden likes his privacy," Colton answers my thought then squeezes my hand in comfort. I sigh and hop out of the big truck, earning a small growl from Colton for not waiting for him.

        I interlace our hands as we walk to the door and give the wooden thing a few timid knocks. Thundering footsteps echo on the other side getting louder until the door is swung open by the carbon copy of the man whose hand I am gripping onto for dear life.

        "Colton, bro! I've missed you!" Colton releases my hand and embraces his brother, their obvious love for each other practically blinding me. When they break apart Colton grabs my shoulders and situates me in the middle of the two, making me feel smaller than a single daisy in the middle of Redwood trees.

        "This here is our little mate, Cassia," Colton introduces me and I say a shy hello.

        "There's no need to be shy, kitten. It's not like we haven't met. Plus, what's the point of having a mate if she's scared of you? I look exactly like that doofus over there, anyway. So you should be used to me by now." Caden's kind smile steals my breath away. My wolf feels the sudden lapse in my emotions and surges us forward into Caden's arms, hugging him to the best of our abilities.

        "Well, damn. You get a hug and I get an almost rejection. How is that for fair?" Colton chuckles as Caden hauls me inside and the door closes behind us.

        "I have always been better with the ladies than you. And a rejection?" Caden grabs my chin and forces me to look into his greenish blue eyes which is the only noticebale difference between the two. "Kitten, did you actually think you could get away from us?"

        I feel my cheeks tint red and I shrug. "It was a good idea at the time," I huff.

        "Don't worry, brother. I put her in her place," Colton suggestively winks at me.

        "You did not!" I protest but my cheeks betray me by turning into full blown cherries now.

        "From that delicious blush on your face I have a feeling you're ly-y-ying," Caden sings. I push off of him (not that I got very far) and step away from the twins while crossing my arms. They're being ridiculous!

        "Don't be mad, love. We're just messing with you. I haven't told Caden all of the details about your... situation." Caden quirks his brow at Colton and I swear I can see them having some sort of mental conversation. Unfair much?

        "How am I going to handle two of you?" I say before my brain can catch up to my mouth.

        "Kitten," Caden purrs. "It's called lube."

        My eyes go wide at his statement and I would like to think my expression is one of horror.

        "Caden!" Colton hits his brother upside the head. "You dickwad! Look how frightened she is!"

        Colton brings me into his chest and kisses the top of my head. "He's just. Kidding." I look up and Colton's eyes are narrowed at his twin. Caden rolls his eyes with an amused smirk plastered on his face like the freaking Cheshire Cat. And again I ask myself, how will I deal with two mates?!

(A/N: LOOK AT THOSE SEXY TWINS ON THE SIDE MEET CADEN AND COLTON OMF *drools*)