Chapter Two

Light shined through the curtain, my eyes fluttered open to be greeted by the sunlight. I stretched my arms and legs and got up from my futon. I placed my hair in a bun, a tail of hair trailed down from the bun. I put my old, tattered tan T-shirt on and black pants. I wore white bands that looped around my calves so my pants wouldn't get in the way. I sheathed my sword in it's holder. I checked if anything was missing.

'Should I bring my bag with me?' I thought to myself. I decided against the idea of bring it. I didn't want to lose anything while I fought demons. I packed up some food and some drinks and set them in a seprate bag. I found the house two years ago. There was dried blood everywhere. Some demon got to the family that lived in the house. It wasn't much, the doors and curtains still worked. The windows were broken and the floor was rotting. The house was abandoned a while ago.

******

The sun reached it's highest point in the sky. I left the old house and grabbed everything that was much needed for Final Selection. The supplies that I left behind were hidden away under the rotting floors.
The sound of running footsteps trailed down the dirt path I was walking on. I turned my head and spotted a young male close to my age. He has burgundy colored hair that was combed back. He had a scar on his forehead that looked like it was grazed. He had innocent dark red eyes. He also wore hanafuda earrings and stands at five feet and five inches. He wore a blue cloud-patterned jinbei-styled kimono and black pants. On the left side of his head was a fox mask with red accents on the eyes. Red spots that were on the sides od the mouth. On the upper right corner was a sun shaped design that looked like the scar on his forehead.

His aura was rather unique. He had gentle eyes that held innocence and kindness and also determination. What made him more unique was that he had the scent of a demon on him. It was rather strong too. The male slowed down and walked beside me, panting.

"It's not good to waste your energy like that." I stated.

"Huh?" The male looked at me, confusion was held in his eyes.

"It won't matter if you show up late for Final Selection. What matters is, is that you save your energy for fighting. If you keep running like that, you won't have the strength to fight a demon. And if you don't have the strength to fight a demon, then you're as good as dead." I said.

"How do you know I was going to Final Selection?" He asked.

"Well your running is a good hint. Anyone who is part of the Demon Slayer or is joining the Demon Slayers usually have some what silent footsteps. When a normal person runs you can hear their running clearly, because they pound their feet on the ground. You aren't wearing a Demon Slayer uniform, but you're carrying a sword around. It would be a bit suspicious if they saw a kid your age running around with a sword in hand." I said. I picked up one of his hands and added. "Your hands are more rougher than any kid your age and seem to be more callused." I let go of his hand. He stares at me his deep red eyes were wide with surprise.

"That's incredible." He smiled. "My name is Kamado Tanjiro." He said.

"Just call me Mono, I guess."

**************

Night fell Tanjiro and I passed by the wisteria flowers and made our way up the stone stairs. There were a lot of people that were at Final Selection. Most of the young slayers showed a cold exterior but the scent they gave off was fear. Some were cocky and claimed that this would be easy.

"Greetings everyone. Thank you all for joining the Final Selection tonight. There are a lot of demons held captive on this mountain brought back by demon killing swordsmen. They are unable to leave." The young male said. His name is Ubuyushiki Kiriya. He has light, pale skin and large plum colored eyes. His hairstyle was a blunt bob with a fringe covering his eyebrows. His hair was a charcoal black color. He has a more feminine look. He wore a purple kimono with flower patterns and a green obi. On the top left side of his head was a wisteria flower piece.

"Because from the mountain foot to half way up, there are a lot od demon repelling wisteria that bloom all year round." Ubuyashiki Kanata, she too has pale skin and large plum colored eyes. Like her brother her hair is in a blunt white bob hairstyle. On the right side of her head is a wisteria headpiece. She also wore a purple kimono with flower patterns. She had a green obi too.

"However, from here on out, there are no more wisteria. Only demons. If you can survive here for seven days," Kiriya started. "Then you pass Final Selection. Now let the Final Selection begin." Kanata finished.

Everyone ran off including Tanjiro. "MoMo-nee." I turned my head towards Kanata. Kanata ran towards me arms open. Kiriya followed after her. They wrapped their arms around the older girl with gentle smiles on there faces. "Good luck, MoMo-nee. Please be safe." They said. I pat their heads.

"I'll come back, I promise." I said.

**********

The end of the week was closing in. I've killed close to fifteen demons so far. I've saved a couple of people from getting killed too. A kid with blonde hair and orange ends. He thanked me repeatedly and didn't want me to leave his side. I also saved a kid with black hair. He had a mohawk hairstyle. He was really mad that I saved him.

***********

Tanjiro's pov

The demon laughed. "There're all in my stomach. It's as if Urokodaki killed them himself." My eyes widen in horror. I glared at the large demon. "When I said these words, that little girl was so angry, she had tears shining at the corners of her eyes. After that her movements became rigid. So I plucked of her arms and legs." I couldn't listen anymore. I charged at the demon slicing the arms in my way. I was punched by one oh his hands. My body was thrown into a tree. I thought back to what Mono and Sabito told me.

******
"When you fight it's best to relax and not let your anger get the best of you. Do you know why that is?" Mono asked. Her pink orbs stared into mine.

"It's because if you're blinded by rage, the opponent has easy access in defeating you. You'll also use too much energy. Then you'll grow weak with exhaustion. At least that's what I believe."

*********
'She's right. I need to relax, I can't let my anger get the better of me.'