•C h a p t e r T h i r t y - O n e•

Song for chapter thirty one: Nightingale by Demi Lovato

|Skyler|

"What the fuck was that?" I asked again when Aden didn't respond right away. I glanced down at my hands, realizing that they were shaking just the slightest bit. His shirt was soaked from the gasoline, clinging onto his chest and stomach. It took a lot out of me to not stare at his toned body.

He held a sheepish expression as he opened his mouth to say something, but a gentle knock on the door interrupted him. I jumped at the sound, eyes widening as I remembered just a few moments before.

"Stay here," he told me before walking towards the door. He opened it to reveal an old lady standing on the other side, her white hair cut to the top of her shoulders accessorized with a fedora.

"I saw those men come in, I just wanted to check on you to make sure you're alright," she said, glancing into the home and making eye contact with me. I only gave her a small forced smile. "You don't need me to call the police do you?"

"No, that won't be necessary," Aden said quickly, his muscles hard. "We're fine, it was just some friends of my dad."

Lies.

The lady seemed skeptical, raising an eyebrow, but nodded anyway. "Alright, well if you need anything, I'm just next door," she said before walking off as Aden thanked her and shut the door.

"Your dad's friends?" I also raised an eyebrow, mirroring the old lady from before.

Aden sighed, running a hand down his face, "I'll explain later, are you hurt anywhere?"

I shook my head, even though I could feel the large bruise that was beginning to form on my side, where that stupid man had thrown me into the bedpost. He nodded, relieved as he opened the freezer, taking out an ice pack and pressing it to his cheek where the bruise was beginning to bulge.

"You're explaining now," I crossed my arms over my chest expectantly. "I'm pretty sure I just saw something illegal."

"Okay fine, just let me take a shower first. I still smell like gas, and then I'll explain everything," he grunted, throwing the ice pack back into the freezer.

"Okay," Was all I could say as he disappeared from the kitchen and into the bathroom down the hall. Sighing, I headed to the living room to clean up our mess. Mean Girls was still playing, though it was nearing the end, but it just seemed ridiculous now after what just happened.

Honestly what did happen?

If only I could summon Regina George to whoop those men's asses.

I picked up the empty pizza box and the napkins we had laying around before heading back into the kitchen to toss them. Just as I settled back onto the couch again, I heard the shower turn off from the bathroom and a moment later Aden stepped out.