Stefan's Story

Author's Note: Sharing this utterly gorgeous art from @sydp_30 on IG

Author's Note: Sharing this utterly gorgeous art from @sydp_30 on IG. They both look so pretty here!!! I especially love Ridley's cape!

Ridley

I stood beside the handful of other knights Stefan had chosen to stand guard, including Percival. Stefan was currently standing in front of a three way mirror as two tailors made adjustments to the large cape made of snow white ermine fur that cascaded off his shoulders.

He turned to us now, flashing us a smile. "What do you think? Perfect for my wedding, right?"

Stefan had finally announced his marital plans this morning and...it had not gone over well with the people. Of course, there was no way Stefan would ever know the level of anger his decision had invoked, but the moment his back was turned outrage and anger had been voiced throughout the palace and most assuredly throughout the kingdom as well. Even now, as I watched him get tailored, it took everything in me to keep my blood from boiling, though my reasoning was quite different from the others. At the lack of responses, Stefan looked to us now.

"Why are you all so quiet today," he asked. "Does my outfit actually look bad?" He glared at one of the tailors who flinched back. "If it does then I want to know. My betrothed loves clothing. If I look awful that might be the one thing that could ruin our marriage."

He laughed.

No one else did.

Stefan sighed heavily. "Come on, why is the atmosphere so tense in here?" The only sound was the uncomfortable shuffling of the guard and the anxious movements of the tailors. "Ridley?" I froze at my name being spoken, the other guards looked to stare at me, wide eyed.

"Yes my lord?" I said, trying to keep my voice as level as possible.

"What do you really think about all of this?"

My gaze darted to the floor. "What do you mean, my lord?"

"Of my marriage? You're the only one here that actually knows Vandel."

I froze, nearly choking on my words. "I...I don't think I understand what you mean, my lord-"

"You spent time with him when Annette was kidnapped, didn't you?"