A New Wand

Thanks to the Dark Lord, Olivander's was out of the question so, at his mother's discretion, they traveled by flu to Paris to Cosme Acajor's wand shop in the heart of Rue Claudel.

A small bell chimed as they entered the shop and Draco was surprised at how different it was from Olivander's. It was much brighter and seemed much better organized. The almost cosy feel of Olivander's was no where to be seen or felt in the simple neat facad of Cosme Acajor's wand shop.

Slightly off to the side of the front desk was a woman crouched over a work table. Her chestnut hair was tied back in a strict bun and she wore a look of total focus.

"Un moment s'il vous plait," she said politely without so much as sparing a glance their way.

There was a great whirl of blue light and a snap and the woman sat back rolling her shoulders.

"C'est Fini." She turned and Draco was taken back by how young the woman looked.

Her face was pleasant, and yet she held a regal air.

"Je ne parle pas francais," said Narcissa. "Parlez-vous Anglais?"

Judging by the wand maker's face his mother's accent left something to be desired. The lady seemed seemed to appreciate the effort though.

"Oui madam," The wand-maker removed her glasses letting them hang on their golden chain. "I can speak English fluently. My name is Astrid Acajor, and I am at your service, but I must ask, what brings you all the way to Paris when the great Olivander is in your country?" The question was quite fair.

"He isn't at his shop," Narcissa answered smoothly and without hesitation. "In these dark times one cannot be sure of anyone's return when they go missing. It is for that reason also we are in haste to get my son a new wand."

"But of course I am happy to help. What was your last wand monsieur?"

"Unicorn hair heart with Hawthorn, ten inches," answered Draco

"I do believe I have a wand similar though the length is not the same. It should not be too much of an issue." Astrid waved her wand and the shelves of the shop rotated smoothly. Draco looked up to see that they were all on a track. He was impressed and watched as the little triangular boxes passed in front of them until the shelves stopped and Astrid picked up one of the boxes and opened it, pulling aside the tissue paper she lifted it handing it gently over to Draco.

It was longer than his old wand closer to twelve inches and the handle was much more innately carved.

"Go ahead," the woman encouraged gesturing to a large clay vase in the corner.

Draco waved the wand towards it and the vase lifted but instead of obeying his movements it flew up to the ceiling and then crashed back into the floor shattering.

"Are you sure this is unicorn and hawthorn?" Draco challenged feeling embarrassed by how badly it had reacted to him.

"Of course I am. I know my wands monsieur," Astrid answered a little haughtily.

"Don't be rude Draco," Narcissa scolded.

"You saw what happened," Draco gestured to the vase.

"The wand does not to like you," Astrid said simply, taking back the wand and laying it gently in its box, replacing it on the shelf. "C'est Dommage."

"But my wand was Unicorn and Hawthorn and worked for me every time," Draco insisted.

"That was your old wand. You have grown since then no doubt and it let you, it grew with you. I think monsieur you are in a different place now than you were. Perhaps you need a new wand to match you." she turned to Narcissa. "What is your wand madam?"