Chapter 38

I was confused almost immediately after stepping out of Athena's small car. Warriors were surrounding Helda's and Yanneek's homes, as well as several others, and some marched purposely inside them and others lingered around outside.

A distraught looking Helda stood nearby the houses, face red and dried tears on her cheeks as she watched the men and women leave and enter her house. Yanneek stood beside her, face agitated and clearly exasperated as he too looked on, arms folded tightly across his broad chest.

I abandoned the groceries in Athena's car and walked to them both.

"They're searching through our houses." Helda told me when I came to stand before her. She rubbed at her red nose. "They just barged into mine abruptly, and demanded that I leave. It shocked me."

I held Helda's stare for a moment longer, and then glanced behind me to the houses once again. Some of the warriors now stood on their porches, and appeared to be talking amongst themselves.

I saw Bronwyn as well, and some were listening intently to her words, words which I could not hear because of the distance. It rapidly dawned on me the reasons for why their homes were being searched and guilt settled in as I once again realized the complete bafflement Helda and Yanneek must be feeling.

They knew nothing about the potions which the Elders suspected them to have, and by the looks of it, it seemed as if none had been found.

I wondered briefly how Bronwyn could have guided the warriors through the searching of the homes without giving away what exactly they were to look for, but I then concluded that she could have easily came up with any other term that could hide the fact that what was to be looked for were potions.

"Do you know why they're searching the houses, Olivia?" Yanneek asked, his voice low. I grimaced, hesitating to answer.

I did not want to lie, but I also knew that the tradition of with-holding the knowledge of potions to pack members was established. I thought the tradition to be quite odd, but nonetheless I instead shrugged and peered up at Yanneek as I asked,

"Do you?"

Yanneek's eyes narrowed. "No. I have no fucking idea why they decided to enter my home and search through my things, Olivia."

I nodded, and my eyes went to Helda, but she wasn't looking my way. Instead, her gaze was fixated on a rapidly growing frustrated Bronwyn, her voice rising as she spoke to Elijah, who stood a few feet away from the warriors.

She'd hobbled down the porch stairs as she hissed at him, but Elijah's face was one of calmness.

I left Helda's side and walked to them, and Bronwyn whipped around at the sound of my footsteps. She was absolutely livid.

"Your friend is hiding the potion that was made to try and bring Anabelle back to life," She snarled at me, eyes blazing with fury. "I know it."

Hannes or Athena must have told her that I was aware of potions. I went on to ask,

"Have you asked the warriors to search the homes which other humans occupy-"

"Yes. They found nothing." Bronwyn's eyes sharpened behind me, and I could see her watching Helda. "It has to be her."

I arched an eyebrow, doubtful, and looked at Elijah. "Did your warriors discover anything in Helda's home?" I asked.

"No. Nothing was there." Elijah scratched his jaw and exhaled. "You need to calm down, Bronwyn."

Bronwyn's eyes landed on him, her anger growing and Elijah released a growl of warning at the Elder. She returned one of her own, and I looked between them for several seconds before eventually settling my attention on the seething Bronwyn.