39. Not So Hidden

'Don't believe anything. I'm coming for you, Diosa'

I re-read the piece of paper over and over again. Is this is a trap? Why on earth did it come out of Leos's briefcase, out of all places? I felt a flutter in my heart. But Rafael is the only person that calls me Diosa, no one could possibly know this.

I just didn't want to be so naive again. I crinkled up the paper and threw it out. No. If it was real, fine sure come here and tell me. I'm going to continue my life and we'll just see if it was real. But if he comes back, would I jump into his arms? hold his face and kiss him? It could be a possibility.

Another two weeks and still nothing. Not another sign or a piece of paper. Christmas had past and today was New years eve. The one thing that couldn't be ruined for me no matter how bad life got, was the feeling and atmosphere of the festive season. Christmas and New years eve. Watching families out on the town, the city covered in snow. Beautiful bright festive lights on display on buildings, trees, and along the city streets. Considering how cold it was I still felt warm knowing it was the most wonderful time of the year. 

For the first time ever I was the one dragging Amber out to a New years eve party that one of the girls at work was hosting on the rooftop of her apartment. I refused to stay in.

Maybe there was a chance Rafael would turn up.

Amber decided to get dressed at mine with a few prior drinks into her system. Since the accident, I hadn't had one drink. I just found no control if I did. I dressed in an all-black outfit, expensive wool trench, stiletto boots. My hair was longer now since I hadn't had the time to cut it. I styled it in waves. Amber wore shiny black pants that emphasized her ass, beige pointy-toe heeled boots, and a beige faux fur jacket. We were ready.

The smell of smoke and alcohol hit our noses the moment we walked onto that rooftop. We were welcomed by the people we knew, stopping along the way to greet them and hug them. Beautiful fairy lights hung around us, lots of food on tables, chairs, and comfy couches scattered. A Dj was playing old RnB hits in the corner. Amber went straight for the alcohol.

"So, you're single right?" Amber shotted down some vodka without blinking. She cleared her throat a bit for the after taste. 

Single? Another man wasn't even on my mind. Amber was definitely single. But was I? I looked at her intently.

"It's been more than a month. So, I guess I am." I shrugged before intently looking around the crowd of people. Okay, maybe I was searching the room, searching to see if Rafael would pop up. He's intimidating tanned exterior, stalking over to us, his strong jaw ticking. Nope, nothing. 

"Cheers to us!" Amber raised her glass, a playful wiggle of eyebrows towards me before she vanished off into the crowd of dancing people.

"Pouring yourself a drink?" A man spoke. I turned around to face him.

"Just opening up a can of red bull." I gave him a light smile. Picking up a can off the table and pouring it into a red cup. Not the man I was hoping for. Leo. He was looking handsome, his hair tussled, a grey trench coat on. Honestly thank god for the gas heaters around us otherwise I would freeze soon. "What brings you here?"

"A friend of mine plus oned me and I kind of knew you'd be here." Leo shrugged a little with a ghost of a smile as he opened up a bottle of beer. I didn't need to be a genius to know the last part. Since my accident, Leo had been overly nice. And I never brought up the piece of paper just in case he had no idea about it. Cause I wasn't exactly sure if it came out of his briefcase. "You look stunning as usual."

Leo flirting. Not new lately. 

I smiled and shook my head softly. "Thank you." I sipped on my drink looking up at him. "I know it's odd for a man like you to be at a rooftop party and not in an extravagant penthouse in London getting ready to view the fireworks display on the London eye."