8

Tails had turned back just in time to help (Y/n) drag Sonic to the hospital. Twenty four hours later, he was stabilized, but still unconscious.

"Are you okay?" Tails asked, walking over and sitting down back to the (a/t). He rubbed his face, glancing at her.

"I'm fine," she murmured. "Is he going to be, though?"

"In sure," Tails said. "He survived six months of torture. I think he'll be okay." (Y/n)'s ears flattened. What if she was worse than six months of torture?

"It's not like that," Tails said as if reading her mind. "Point is, he's survived worse."

(Y/n) shrugged. "Will you call me if he wakes up?" she asked softly, tapping her communicator. Tails blinked.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"I can't stay here, not with him," she said. "Infinite was after him and he used me to do the dirty work. I don't want that to happen again. I don't want to be the liability."

"You can't go hunting down Infinite alone!" Tails said, grabbing her arm.

"No, I'm going to give him what he wants," she said. "Revenge."

"So you're just going to let him kill you?" Tails said, standing up. "You can't do that! Sonic would never let you!"

"It's not like he can stop me," she murmured, looking down. She lifted her gaze to look at the fox. "Tell him to find the Resistance. He'll be able to defend himself better with people watching his back. He fell into Infinite's trap because he was alone. Though Infinite will still be able to track him down, he'll be better prepared."

"You're coming back with me and him," Tails said. (Y/n) shook her head.

"I can't," she said. "Like I told you earlier: Infinite can take control of people's bodies. He's using the Chaos Emeralds to power the Phantom Ruby and give himself all sorts of new angles on it. I'm going to try and get those away from him, and if I survive, I'll get them back to you."

"Please, don't," Tails pleaded. "At least tell Sonic yourself." She sighed, pulling her arm out of his grip and grabbing her wispon. "(Y/n)!" She glanced back at him, then turned to him and nodded at Sonic's room. Tails' ears drooped and he led her inside.

(Y/n) could hardly look at the blue hedgehog, lying peacefully on the bed, though the angry wounds contradicted the peaceful look. The doctor in the room looked up at them. "He'll recover," he assured them. "His powers are definitely lending a hand and he should be on the mend soon."

(Y/n) nodded appreciatively. So he'd be back on his feet. That was good. Then he could get to the Resistance and they'd be able to finishing cleaning up this mess.

"He won't go, you know," Tails said quietly. "He went on his own way for a reason and when he figures out you went on a suicide mission, he won't stop until he finds you, even if it's just your dead body. You'll still hurt him, even if not physically."

"He'll be better off without me," she said. "I was only with him for a short period of time and I already got him hurt. By my hand." 

"You told me Infinite had control of your body," Tails said defiantly. "It wasn't your fault! You both have a better chance of surviving if you stay together, at the very least!" 

"Please, keep it down," the doctor said. 

"Sorry," Tails muttered. He looked back to (Y/n). "Please. Be sensible." The (a/t) sighed. 

"I'll wait until he wakes up to talk to him," she said. "But I know what I want to do, and I have my mind set on it." 

"He'll change it," Tails said confidently. She didn't reply, walking out of the room, down the hall and to the lobby. "I know he will." 

~

It was the next day, late afternoon when Sonic woke up. Tails hurried to find (Y/n), assuring himself she hadn't left yet. She had been true to her word. 

"He's awake," he said. "And he's asking for you." She said nothing, lowering her head and grabbing her wispon as she followed the fox up to the hospital room. 

"Ah, just the pretty face I wanted to see," Sonic said, lifting his head off the table to look at her. Her ear twisted backwards and she slung her wispon over her shoulder. "Heading off already? Without me?" 

"That was my plan," she said. Sonic's joking face fell. "Before you go protesting, hear me out." 

"That's just dumb," Sonic said, ignoring her request. "You'd be putting yourself in unnecessary danger and you know I could protect you?" She coughed, gesturing at him. "Okay, that's on me. Regardless! It's just plain out stupid!" 

"Infinite can control people's bodies," (Y/n) said. "He has the Chaos Emeralds. He's more powerful than before, and he has his heart set on revenge." 

"So let's put an end to this together! Going up against him alone is suicide!" Sonic sat up, pulling needles out of his body despite the doctor's protests. He waved them off and swung his legs over the table, wincing. (Y/n) shot a small glare at Tails, who didn't look the slightest bit remorseful. 

"Sonic, you're still recovering, and the longer we wait, the more powerful Infinite will get. He could start a whole other war and it was because I wasn't fast enough to react." 

"Shut up!" Sonic suddenly yelled and she flinched. "Please, just shut up. You're not being reasonable! You're probably tired, and anxious, and it's making you unreasonable. Just listen to me." 

"I'm a liability, Sonic! I nearly killed you!" she cried, stepping back. Tails' ears flattened. "I don't want that to happen again." 

"I won't let it," he said, pushing himself up. The doctor opened his mouth but Sonic lifted a finger, limping over to (Y/n). She stepped back, putting her wispon in front of her to keep the space between them. "I'm sorry I wasn't there for you. But I'm not going to let it happen again. Just...have some sense, for me, okay?" 

"Sonic, the best course of action would be for you to find the Resistance," she said softly. 

"Us," he corrected. "You're coming with me. No question. Even if you do run, I'll find you. I won't let you go up against Infinite alone because you think you're incompetent." 

"But-" 

"No buts. Are we clear?" She stared at him and he batted her wispon down, taking another step towards her. "(Y/n)-" 

"Fine!" she said, her cheeks warming at the lack of space between them. She lifted her wispon against and pressed it to his chest, nudging him away from her. Tails beamed proudly in the background and she sighed. Of course he'd been right. 

"Cool!" Sonic said, pushing her wispon aside again and enveloping her in a hug. "But...you have to stick with me, okay? I don't trust you not to run off." She yelped as her head hit his chest and he squeezed her with a happy purr. "I'm gonna keep you right here." 

"Wh-what?" she said, pushing out of his embrace. "You know what? If we're going back to the Resistance, we should head back. The less time we spend in one place, the better." She didn't miss the look that passed over Sonic's features, but she couldn't identify it before it was gone. 

"Yep," he agreed. He glanced over at the doctor. "Thanks, doc. I think I can take it from here." 

"Take care of your ear as well," the doctor called as they walked out of the room. 

"I will!" And then they were gone.