02. The Manor

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

The rest of the trip upstate included leftover soda, cold fries, and Megan singing along to Carrie Underwood, which would have been fine if not for the fact that I didn't much like music that wasn't from a musical - not that I could really listen ...

The rest of the trip upstate included leftover soda, cold fries, and Megan singing along to Carrie Underwood, which would have been fine if not for the fact that I didn't much like music that wasn't from a musical - not that I could really listen to musical songs right now without completely breaking down. In addition, Megan was even worse at singing than she was at dancing - and she was not a very good dancer. At one point she did start to dance as well, causing me to burst out laughing. She turned the music down and frowned at me.

"Stop laughing and focus on the road," she scolded me. "I don't want to have another near-death experience ever again. And you're a terrible driver, Kriss. It's a miracle you passed your test."

"Shut up," I said, good-naturedly. "You do realize, that one day, you will experience what death is like?"

"Yes," she said. "But I'd rather it not happen before I'm of legal drinking age."

"There will come a time when all of us are dead," I quoted. "All of us. There will be a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything."

"God, that's morbid," Megan muttered. "Who said that?"

"John Green, An Abundance of Katherines," I replied, smiling. Though it was from the modern era, it was on my shelf of classics. I enjoyed it that much.

"John Green? The guy who wrote The Fault in Our Stars?" Megan frowned, sounding confused. "He's not a classic author."

I glanced at her sideways, and she was fighting a smile.

"Maybe not yet," I said. "But I guarantee you, in fifty years, in a hundred, two hundred, his novels will be grouped up there with the classics. I'm just ahead of my time."

"You read too much," Megan said, giving me a small smile. "It's no wonder you're so keen to see Jase again."

"I am not keen," I mumbled. "I haven't seen him in five years." Five years too long, if you ask me. "I only reacted the way I did because I was surprised."