43 ➳ Enemies With Benefits

RUNNING
FOR   MILES

Today is Friday, April the third to be exact.

Now to some today is just the same plain old Friday where school or work finishes and you can finally relax or drink till you blackout but this isn't just any normal Friday nor any normal third of April. Eighteen years ago, today Lilac Marie Hayes was born.

After a few long weeks of trying to brainstorm the perfect birthday for our favorite blonde, we had finally figured out how we were going to make it different and better from all of the others.

To tell the truth, it took a while for us to decide what we would do, Hale and Lakyn wanted to get drunk at the dock. I had objected as I knew all too well that Lila would rather chuck herself into the lake and drown along with all the other possible people that have drowned in the kelp infested water.

My idea was to take her back to New Haven and maybe stay in a hotel there that overlooked the beach, cause while I for one hated the sand, I knew that that day, until Lakyn dunked her in the water, made her really happy as she was somewhat free and had nothing to worry about while the sand was between her toes and the soft crashing waves ringing in her ear.

Now I never thought I would say this but it was all thanks to Lakyn and his truly despicable mind that we had all agreed on a mean yet nice idea for Lila's birthday. The idea was a surprise party and that we would pretend that we had forgotten that it was Lila's birthday and that we would then surprise her after school with cake and her presents.

So, the plan for today was for Hale to say a blunt happy birthday to Lila in the morning so that she didn't suspect any dodgy business going on yet still making her feel as though we had forgotten her birthday. I begged for them to let me say happy birthday but the boys had told me a stern no and that I was strictly not allowed to go near Lila as they said my supposed big mouth would spill our plan.

I'm sure that you could imagine the lightning speed and glares they sent me when Lila had rounded the corner and we had made eye contact. I went to wave at her as she looked somewhat sad but then instantly happier when her pretty blue eyes made instant eye contact with my green ones.

Hale was the one to get to me first as he had swiftly picked me up and awkwardly dashed me down the hallway and away from the poor blonde who was left alone in the hallway. I smacked Hale for doing that as I instantly regretted agreeing to this horrid plan as I felt like the worst best friend, but he had managed to calm me down and reassure me that we had to do this and that the day was almost over.

What he had meant by 'Had to do this' was because unfortunately this morning Hale had got a text from Alison, Lila's mother, saying that she won't be able to spend Lila's birthday with her as Foster is dragging her to one of his business meetings that were going to be held a few hours away from here but she had insisted that they would be back tonight.

My heart broke at that as I couldn't imagine anything worse than finally having your mother back especially for my birthday and then all to have her being taken away for the millionth time but this one being by my selfish and inconsiderate father.

But lucky enough for us, their absence was a good thing well for our plan I should say, as now we could host our surprise there instead of Hales. We had planned to get a banner that said 'Happy Birthday Lila!' and of course a cake that had been ordered a few days ago it's light purple, lilac to be exact, while it has Lilas favorite handbag and heels on it.

But we needed a slight distraction to happen so that Lila wouldn't come home straight away and see us mid setting up, that would be bad. There was only one person that was perfect to distract Lila and that is the annoying Blaire Younge.