2: In Which She Visits a Paradise

***********************************

“Have you ever wanted to experience a fantasy so wild, so crazy that your vagina burst at the seams?” Erin asked, casually channel-surfing and sipping a glass of lemonade.

I looked up from my Heat. All I’d manage to catch was the v-word. “Excuse me?”

“I’m just thinking out loud here,” Erin said innocently.

I shook my head ruefully. If someone met Erin Thomas for the first time, they’d think she was exactly as she looked – her big, wide blue eyes made her seem childlike; her small, sixteen-year-old frame added to her childlike appearance, plus she was a jeans-and-T-shirt girl. She seemed like the typical girl-next-door stereotype, with her Canon slung around her neck and those big bug eyes.

But that was all just a cover for the freak inside her.

Erin and I had met in college – she was studying photography and I was majoring in media. We were thrown together as roommates. There I was, foolishly thinking that I had been paired up with an intellectual such as myself – until one Saturday night when she’d picked up two guys from the college rec room and proceeded to have a wild threesome in the bed beside me while I tried to sleep, plugging Eminem into my ears. From then on, Erin had steady boyfriends that were just as wild as she, but still adored her for who she was. She was fickle and free-spirited and was probably the happiest person I knew.

“Do you know where I met Harry?” Erin asked suddenly, sitting up a little straighter in the couch.

“No, but I bet you’re gonna tell me,” I mumbled, thinking of one of her boyfriends from the year before, a sexy paramedic that bore a strong resemblance to Adam Levine.

“The library, Janelle. The library.”

“How romantic,” I said sarcastically.

“Hey, you should go!” Erin was suddenly excited, bouncing up and down on my sofa, threatening to break it.

“I’m reading right now.” I held up my magazine.

“There’s a reading club that meets every Friday evening. You should go. It could be good for you.”

“Is that so?”

“It’s a great way to meet new people.”

I closed the magazine, looking at her. “I have enough friends, thank you very much. I don’t need to go to the library to meet people like some sad, lonely person, Erin. Besides, Friday is club night.”

“You don’t go to the club anymore. You either stay home with Prince exploring each other’s bodies, or you bring a colleague home to screw.”