Chapter 15

"Are you ready, Muna?" Miss Rose asked me.

I was seated in the driver's seat of one of her car's. Miss Rose had revealed to me her grand plan of teaching me how to drive at breakfast this morning. I had tried to get out of it, I really really tried, and then Miss Rose had played the 'I pay you to drive me' card and there was nothing much I could do from there.

I had insisted that if she were to teach me to drive, she'd do so using her cheapest car. I thought this would have provided me with some form of comfort and reduced my anxieties until I found out that her cheapest car cost more than what most people made in their lifetime.

Here I was; seated in the driver's seat of said car. Its exterior was white and smooth, with its inside being a direct contrast: jet black color.

"Are you ready, Muna?" Miss Rose repeated her question, seeing as I had not answered the first time.

"Not really," I said, turning to look at her.

Miss Rose was seated next to me, in the passenger seat with her head resting against the car window as she calmly watched me panic and combust within myself. She laughed at this. She was the only one laughing as I found nothing particularly funny about the fact that she was about to trust me with her life.

Luckily (or unluckily) for me, Miss Rose had a large expanse of land just outside her house for me to practice driving without having to worry about other cars on the road. She had even gone the extra length of placing cones and obstacles along particular points to stimulate a more realistic driving experience. The land was closed off by two walls, parallel from each other.

"Remember what I told you, Muna. Safety checks always come first."

I let out a breath. It appeared we were really doing this. I had been hoping that somehow this whole thing was just another of Miss Rose's jokes, but she seemed hell-bent on teaching me how to drive and it was clear I wasn't getting out of here. Not until she had achieved some of that.

I checked my seatbelt and adjusted my side mirrors, and the overhead mirror like Miss Rose had instructed. She smiled at me with satisfaction once I had done those checks.

"Okay, now adjust the vehicle so you are comfortable in your seat. Here I'd help."

I sat in silence as Miss Rose clicked off her seat-belt and reached over me to the side of my seat and began to press some buttons.

"Tell me when you feel comfortable, Muna."

"When." I mumbled after a few seconds of Miss Rose moving my seat back and forth.

She sat back down in her seat, sweeping her hair out of her eyes as she re-buckled her seat-belt. "You're off to a great start, Muna. Put the gear in Drive and press down on the accelerator. Do it slowly first, then apply more pressure as you go along."

I looked at Miss Rose in one desperate final attempt to get out of this, "are you sure about this? I really don't want to harm your car."

"You won't harm my car, Muna."

How was she so sure?

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I opened them again and cleared my throat as I placed my foot carefully on the accelerator. The car slowly but surely lurched forward.

"There you go, Muna!" Miss Rose said beside me, "now slowly increase your speed. Slowly."

I did just that, all the while my heart beating really fast in my chest. My palms were sweaty against the steering wheel of the car, and I gripped it painfully to keep my hands from suddenly slipping off.