26: You Draw Fili in Your Sketchbook

*Author's Note: Thank you so much for 10k reads! I hope you are enjoying the book so far! Have a great day! :)

•••

It has been a week since the Battle of Five Armies was won. Fili's injuries are fully healed, but his energy levels aren't quite as high as they used to be, meaning he still needs a bit more rest than normal.

You glance over at Fili and see that he has fallen asleep. You let him sleep, quietly stepping out of the room. With no orcs to kill and no new adventures calling your name, you decide to pick up your sketchbook and find a quiet place to draw.

You've always loved to draw, but haven't had the time due to everything that's happened over the past year or so. Lately, you've been rediscovering your passion for it.

The sketchbook is small enough to slide into one of the inside pockets of your coat, but big enough to still take up a decent amount of space in your lap.

You found it while exploring the halls of Erebor. You had stumbled upon an entire room filled with writing and drawing supplies. Everything from paintbrushes, to ink, canvases of all sizes, smooth paper, and paper so old it was stained and tearing at the edges. Anything you could possibly imagine.

You fumble with the various pencils rolling around in your pocket, looking for just the right one.

You find it, plopping yourself down on the ground at your destination. Your destination is a large grassy hill. From the top of it, you get a view of the lake where Laketown once stood, the city of Dale, as well as the front entrance to Erebor.

You begin to draw, smiling as you drag your pencil across the paper. You know exactly what you're doing, sketching the rough outline of a familiar face. You begin skillfully pencilling in each strand of hair, so focused on the task at hand, the rest of the world becomes a blur.

Next, you add shading, scribbling with the edge of your pencil and blending the lines with your fingers.
You lighten up certain areas, creating highlights with your eraser. Finally, you place your signature in the bottom right corner of the page. The world fades back into focus and you hear someone breathing behind you.

You reach in your coat for your pocket knife, but find the pocket empty, remembering that you used it during the escape from the elf palace and never got it back. You mutter a few words in Khuzdul, scrambling to your feet, ready to fight with your bare hands if necessary.

When you see who it is, you instantly relax.

"Fili! You scared me!" You take a deep breath, holding your sketchbook against your chest.

"Who else did you think it would be?" Fili laughs.

"I- I don't know," you giggle, feeling stupid for overreacting.

"Can I see this?" Fili gestures you your sketchbook, "I caught a glimpse of your drawing, it's quite good!"

You blush, hesitantly handing over the book.

"Wow, it looks just like me! Actually... I think you've made me look better than I do in real life!" He holds the drawing up to his own face.

"No, I would never be able to fully capture your beauty in a drawing, love." You take the sketchbook from Fili, lightly kissing his cheek.

"Aww," Fili smiles, blushing at your comment, "You really do have a talent though (Y/N)... You should teach me some day! It'd be fun!"

"Alright," you take Fili's hand, "I'll teach you right now. Come on, if your going to draw, you'll need some supplies!"

The two of you walk back to Erebor hand in hand.