14 ❥ Blissful rest

Tressandra

     The journey across the country seems endless. It's odd to leave my pack behind, the only home I've ever known, it's actually harder than I thought. Of course that place brought me a lot of pain and misery, but I'll never forget the good times. The best parts were near the end, after all, because of all the time I got to spend with my newly found mate.

     As soon as Ryk and I discovered each other, the world kind of shifted into a whole new place.

     I'm snuggled into him, grateful to be taking this long road trip with him by my side. We're in a car with Hyrum and Ace, and Ace's adopted daughter, Opal. She's a little girl with short brown hair, and bright, intelligent blue eyes.

     She's around 6 or 7 years old, and she hardly says a word.

     Everyone is quiet for the most part. Ryk and I are in the very back seat, nestled tightly together like two puzzle pieces. The first day of travel is the longest, 12 hours on the road to be exact, and I try to sleep through most of it.

     I can't stop thinking about Mother though, and how she might feel about what Klept did. My younger sister decided to take in our little brothers, Daniel and Felix. I'm happy that they're coming with us. I can't make myself regret leaving behind my other siblings. Parker refused to come, and my sisters didn't want to leave either, same went for our older brother, Teller. I can't blame them. The Green pack is their home.

     Unfortunately for Klepto and I, it was anything but a home.

     I cuddle myself further into my lycan mate, the scent of cigarette ash clinging to his t-shirt. It doesn't matter where we go now, because Ryk is my home. I love him.

     The sun fades fast, the light disappearing as we drive through Missouri. The road gets rockier, the bumping car waking me from my cat nap. I yawn. I stretch. My sweet mate presses a kiss to my temple, and I know that everything is right with the world.

     The big suburban comes to a halt, and everyone is climbing out and talking with the people that chose to ride in the other car. I try to climb out, but Ryk stops me with a pale hand held up. He then proceeds to pull me into his bulky arms and haul me against his chest.

     I don't argue. I simply sigh and lean into him while he grabs our bag.

     A lot of talk goes on as we all go into the hotel that was booked earlier. Apparently Savannah planned the trip, allowing for 3 nights of blissful rest.

     Several people split up, but I don't focus on them, instead I smell my mate. I can't stop myself from inhaling his mouth watering scent. I don't exactly love the whole smoking thing, but that's okay. If he enjoys it, I'm not going to take it away from him.

     "Here you go, big guy, your very own key to your very own room, as requested." I look up to see a very annoyed looking Savannah handing Ryk a little folder with some keycards.

     He rumbles a thank you before taking me and our bag to the elevator. We packed light for the trip, and I thought it was because my mate didn't want to deal with a lot of stuff, but I guess it's because he didn't want to carry luggage instead of carrying me. Weird.

     It doesn't take too long before we're behind a closed door, having our own privacy. I can breathe easy now that I'm not surrounded by watching eyes.

     Ryk carefully sets me down on the bed, and I fold my legs while he unzips the duffel bag we brought. He rummages through the clothing before reaching for the bottom hem of his shirt. My eyes grow wide when he pulls it off, exposing his white chest to my gaze without a second thought. He doesn't notice my stare as he puts a hand to the button of his pants, ready to take them away too, and that's when he suddenly sees me eyeing him in question.