~14~

Maria grabbed my hand with anticipation.
"Do you think he's about to announce the group?"
"Possibly."
Watching him, I saw he was pouring over the paper with a concentrated look, and Sara was next to him pointing out names.
A few more nerve wracking minutes passed, until they both seemed set on a decision and called out for the walkers to join the common room.
When everyone had trickled in and settled down, Sara announced, "We've finalised the group. We're happy a lot of you decided to volunteer but we've decided on a group of 6."
"I'll be leading the group," added Alan, "but before anything else I'll tell you who all are coming. Max, Jacopo, Maria, Leah and Cornelia. Are you still okay with leaving the base?"
All five of us nodded our heads and said "yes", and I looked around to see who Cornelia was. A girl with long pink hair and a nose piercing was nodding along with us as the person next to her congratulated her. Catching my eye, she turned and smiled at me, waving hello.
"Okay great, after dinner all six of us can meet in the tech room and Max will explain more about how the technology will work."

                                        ***

The tech room was dark as I walked in. As my eyes adjusted, I saw a row of computers showing different types of data in it, a lot of odd-looking machines whose purposes I could not for the life of me place, and a large screen where, underneath, a large meeting table had been placed. Two of those seats were already occupied by Alan and Max, conversing urgently under their breaths, and soon all the seats were taken. I noticed another person I didn't know sitting next to Max, but judging from his lab coat I guessed he was also a scientist.
The mysterious man spoke up, "So here's the plan, you guys will be trekking your way to the Mont Blanc, in the Alpes. There's a satellite there that is high enough to make our technology function well. It's estimated to take 30 days to walk there, stops included, but you'll be taking transports as much as possible and we've got supplies."
He droned on, explaining how the method worked and how to activate it, but it was all complicated science words to me. At least Max would be there to activate it, because I hadn't fully understood the concept. Looking around I saw most of us looked confused as well. Way to go to save the world.
Maria, I noticed, seemed enthralled. For as long as I can remember, she has always enjoyed science, mostly physics, but this invention was a combination of everything, I couldn't place it on the scheme of science. It involved environmental engineering, so I guess that qualifies as bio-physics? If that even is a thing in the first place.
The next hour was spent planning what to pack, food, materials, clothing, first aid and everything. Max showed us the hoodies we would be wearing, and seeing our confusion "Hoodies for a solar storm??" explained that they had been set with cooling technology, air conditioning or something that was powered by solar light so we wouldn't run out. We would wear masks of course, it was only necessary seeing as the storms would entrain dusty environments and all. And we would have to bring water purifying tablets made of iodine I believe? Anyway, it would be long and complicated.

***

"I can't believe this is really happening."
"Neither can I." Maria and I were in the training room together, alone. It was part of our daily workouts to make sure we were in shape physically and ready to fight defence if needed.
"It feels like yesterday we were sitting in Math class stressing over a Math test and now the world is ending."
"Yeah talk about drastic change of perspective." I laughed. Maria had a point, everything seemed to insignificant now. From what I'd heard our classes were going to continue taking place underground. Too bad Maria and I were too busy saving the world. Horrible French classes could gladly wait, I won't miss them one single bit.
Then Alan burst into the training room, "The project is ready, Max just told me. We leave tomorrow."