|4|

"Well, it's nice to know that you lived to see another day."

My eyes snapped open to see that I was standing in a dark abyss, but as I glanced over to the side, I soon realize that I was not alone. The one man that I never wanted to see again was standing there with a soft smile on his face, his eyes set on mine. 

"Don't pretend that you actually care," I retort, narrowing my eyes at him, "That only worked on me when I was younger. When I was pliable."

"You were anything but pliable as a child. I think I'd more put it as stubborn and easily angered," he scoffs. I roll my eyes and shake my head, not wanting to hear from him at all. He takes a deep breath and clasps his hands behind his back, taking a step towards me. I quickly match his step by moving back and away from him. "Regardless of what you think, I really do care. I just want you to come home."

"I don't know if you remember correctly, but you ripped me from my home. You took me away from my family- from my brother most of all. You're insane to think that I'd actually come back to you as if you really gave me a sense of home," I say, shaking my head while my eyes narrowed in disgust. 

"Do you not consider yourself to be my daughter? I raised you since you were a young girl. How could you not consider your name to be mine?" he asks, taking another step towards me. 

"I consider myself to be a Dameron, not whatever the hell you want me to be. And don't give yourself too much credit. You were a caregiver that gave me the bare minimum," I snap, glaring at him. I take a deep breath and close my eyes, taking another step back in an attempt to calm myself down. There was no point in starting this conversation or engaging in it. "I don't want to talk to you, alright? It's as simple as that. Now, I'm trying to get some actual sleep for once in my life. So could you move along?"

"Is the lifestyle of a bounty hunter tiring you out? You should leave him behind and come back home so you can continue your training. You could live a comfortable life under my care," he tries. 

"So, he told you," I sigh out while thinking back towards the client. The pasty older man had recognized me and immediately reported back to this asshole. Of course, he did. How could I expect any less? "What else did he tell you?"

"He said that you've grown up a bit, and I have to agree with him. I'm curious, have you been continuing your training? he asks, cocking his head to the side as he spoke. 

"Not in ways you would approve. My way gives me fewer scars and fewer nightmares. It also doesn't require a sith lord beating the shit out of me when I don't understand a concept," I answer, rolling my eyes while thinking back to my previous years of training. 

"How disappointing," he hums, his lips pursing into an unamused grimace. 

"What's really disappointing is you and Vader's parenting skills," I say, shrugging while rolling my eyes. He visibly clenches his jaw at the mention of Darth Vader, but he doesn't dare comment on it. "Can I go back to my dark, dreamless sleep now? I'd much prefer floating in this little dark abyss on my own."

"I miss you."

"Why does your tone make me doubt that, father?" I spit at him. He laughs and shakes his head, seemingly infuriating me even more. "You just miss having the little force-using soldier that you could control and train."

"Well, you certainly aren't wrong about that. But I must ask, why must you say 'father' with such bitterness?" he questions, his smile slowly settling into a smirk. I clench my jaw and shake my head, staring him down. He had gotten old. The salt and pepper hair told me that much, but it wasn't just his hair. He looked... tired and broken down.