O5 | the three champions

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

     "So here's the plan", Samira said, grinning from ear to ear. "Step one: I'll be chosen as Hogwarts champion. Step two: George Weasley will utterly fall for me."

     "Girl, what you did yesterday had started the revolution of an uprising feminism here in the castle", Ian snorted. "Hundreds of girls will now start to fight those nasty guys maltreating them! Don't you tell me you did all of this to impress that lousy ginger!"

     "I did not", Samira said, rolling her eyes. "Roger needed to be told those things long ago. But if that made George notice me — and he is not lousy, you bitch! — then it's a pleasant side effect of my actions. Sue me!"

     The time was ticking the slowest Samira had ever felt. It was still soon in the afternoon, and the calling of the champions wouldn't start before eight o'clock. She wasn't even looking for the feast, her whole excitement was directed at the Goblet of Fire's decision, her legs tapping restless against the floor.

     "Stop it, you're making me nervous", Nora growled, flinging her own legs over Samira's, to stop them from moving. "Oh, and as we're talking about George Weasley, I'm sure he has indeed noticed you."

     "How do you think so?", Samira asked, her eyes widening.

     "Because he's heading straight at you."

     Samira almost flipped her neck, in high speed pointing her own attention at the spot where Nora was already staring at. Indeed, George Weasley was on his way across the courtyard, and he stopped right in front of her.

     "Nervous, little Diggory?", he chuckled, his eyes wandering towards her legs, who were still twitching underneath Nora's, and she quickly stopped.

     "About the choosing? Phew", she said and waved it aside. "I don't get my hopes up high that I'll actually become a champion. Just wanted to give it a try, you know?"

     "I see." His grin was sending shivers down her spine, and thank goodness she was wearing a long sleeved shirt, so he couldn't see the goosebumps prickling on her skin. "Well, Fred and I are taking bets, you know? Seems like a lot of people are pretty confirmed you'll make it. Girls, mostly, I have to admit. You were quite impressive yesterday."

     "There was nothing impressive about yesterday", Samira scoffed, again waving her hand in an awkward motion, feeling her cheeks heating up. "Roger just needed to put into his place. What he did was inappropriate."

     "That's expressed very diplomatic. I'd say, he's acted like a complete arse." George's eyes flickered to Nora, then to Ian, before he said. "So you really did it? You ditched him?"

     Samira nodded, and Nora said, "The whole statement of hers would've been nonsense, if she'd ram back into his arms right after, don't you think, Weasley?"

      "That's why I asked."

      "Ah, that's why you asked, I see", Ian snarled, pursing his lips. 

      "Yes, it is", George replied, one eyebrow raised at Ian. "Have to go now, business doesn't wait. See you around, Sam."

      He walked away, leaving Samira with a flattering heart. "Did he call me Sam?", she asked, her eyes glimming wildly.

      "Oh please, that's your name, honey", Ian said with a snort. "He didn't ask you to marry him."

      "Yeah ... Wait for it."

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

     "What are they even waiting for?", Nora asked. The plates have emptied, the chatting slowly died in anticipation of what was coming next. Even Ian seemed to have forgotten about his pacifism in this very moment, as Professor Dumbledore rose from his chair and the lights around him dimmed.   

     "Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision", said Dumbledore. "I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champions' names are called, I would ask them please to come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through into the next chamber" - he indicated the door behind the staff table - "where they will be receiving their first instructions." 

     He took out his wand and gave a great sweeping wave with it; at once, all the candles except those inside the carved pumpkins were extinguished, plunging them into a state of semidarkness. The Goblet of Fire now shone more brightly than anything in the whole Hall, the sparkling bright, bluey-whiteness of the flames almost painful on the eyes. 

     Everyone watched, waiting ... A few people kept checking their watches ... 

     The flames inside the goblet turned suddenly red again. Sparks began to fly from it. 

     Next moment, a tongue of flame shot into the air, a charred piece of parchment fluttered out of it and the whole room gasped. 

     Dumbledore caught the piece of parchment and held it at arm's length, so that he could read it by the light of the flames, which had turned back to blue-white. 

     "The champion for Durmstrang," he read, in a strong, clear voice, "will be Viktor Krum." 

     "Ah well, hope his cute ass won't get chewed off by a chimaera", Ian muttered, as the whole crowd bursted with applause.

     "Bravo, Viktor!", boomed Karkaroff, so loudly that everyone could hear him, even over all the thunderous clapping of hands. "Knew you had it in you!" 

     Now everyone's attention was focused again on the goblet, which, seconds later, turned red once more. A second piece of parchment shot out of it, propelled by the flames. 

     "The champion for Beauxbatons," said Dumbledore, "is Fleur Delacour!" 

     "I swear on Merlin's grave, if you won't get chosen and act up like that, I will give you a reason to cry", Nora yelled over the new storm of cheering, throwing a side glare at two of the Beauxbatons girls who had not been selected, that had dissolved into tears and were sobbing with their heads on their arms. 

     When Fleur Delacour too had vanished into the side chamber, silence fell again, but this time it was a silence so stiff with excitement you could almost taste it. The Hogwarts champion next ... 

     And the Goblet of Fire turned red once more; sparks showered out of it; the tongue of flame shot high into the air, and from its tip Dumbledore pulled the third piece of parchment. 

     "The Hogwarts champion", he called, "is Samira Diggory!" 

•─────────•°•❀•°•─────────•

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success

please consider to vote / comment on the story to support its success. <3