02. TIPSY

02. TIPSY

ELIJAH WEST IS ONLY SLIGHTLY tipsy

At least, that's what he would tell you as he stares off into nothing and wallows in silence.

He cradles his third gin and tonic, hunched over the bar counter. A random stranger could just glance at him and immediately know that he's sad. Or drunk. Or both.

As much as the pout could tell them, or the fact that he hasn't looked up the whole time he's been seated.

The bartender, Matthew Paulson, who served him would spare him glances, just to make sure he's okay. This is the doctor who set his collarbone when he broke it so it was the least he could do.

Elijah left his car keys at home with the hopes of getting shit-faced drunk. And, well, it just hit 11 and he was barely getting started.

Him and Gianna had been together since he started his five-year residency eight years ago. He was so good that he was offered head of ortho the year he became an attending.

He'd been working his ass off since then, trying to help as many people as he can and trying to pull his weight in the relationship. He tried to make as much money as he could to give Gianna the life she deserves.

And for what? To be left because she didn't like his job?

He downs the rest of his drink and raises his hand for another. Matthew gazes down at him with a concerned look on his face.

"Hey, man," He says, leaning in so the doctor can hear him, "You good?"

Elijah runs his finger down the glass, following a drop of condensation. He nods, "Yeah, I'm good."

Matthew narrows his eyes, "You sure about that?"

A second passes before Elijah looks up for the first time since he started drinking, his eyes red with tears threatening to spill. He cried before he left his apartment and decided to suck it up in public.

"Yeah, man, I'm sure," He lifts the glass, "Can I get another one?"

Matthew nods, eyebrows furrowing in worry, "Alright."

Another drink is placed in front of the surgeon and he wastes no time in sipping from it. Luckily, he'd called out of work for tomorrow.

He huffs as he feels someone's presence to the left of him. He casts his gaze to watch the droplets of water race down the side of the glass.

"Can I get a vodka tonic?" A female voice with a lovely lilt sounds from beside him, urging him to look up.

Matthew nods and before she knows it, there's a glass of alcohol in front of her.

Silently, Elijah continues to sip on his drink, his eyes trained on her. He watches as she huffs through her nose and pushes her braids back out of her face.