Chapter 60

I haven't seen Lucian since we left for work this morning. He spent the entire day in Central Command with the generals and the Trinity and I couldn't help but imagine them sitting in comfortable looking chairs, eating snacks while they watched everyone through the camera's they've planted everywhere.

I kept my bag safely out of anyone's reach and once work was over I headed straight to the training center in search for Rosie.

A feeling of familiarity washes over me as I walk into the dull grey building and I am thankful that I haven't been banned from coming here like I am from entering the slave quarters. 

I stop in my tracks when I see two armed officers walking around the premises. This is the first time I'm seeing this and when I walk past the medical facility I notice armed guards standing by the entrance as well. 

They catch me staring and I notice the recognition in their eyes. Is this added security the result of the rebellions? 

Their presence causes me to worry slightly.

I walk through the large garden that separates the recreation room from the training center and inhale deeply, breathing all the oxygen provided by the algae that grows on the floors, walls and even the lopsided fountain in the middle. 

When I reach the training center, I open the doors and freeze in place when I see two armed guards standing by the doors as well. I smile politely and attempt to walk past them but a Plutonian holds out his hand stopping me. 

"We're going to have to check your bag first, Bone Breaker."

I still and clutch my bag tightly as my nerves ignite with panic. "Why?"

"It's standard procedure. If you want to enter you're going to have to get scanned, Bone Breaker."

He mentions those words I hate again and it fills me with irritation. I can't let them look in my bag and find that mug I surreptitiously hid inside. That would not only arouse suspicion but if Lucian found out he would never trust me. 

My communicator rings suddenly and I pick it up. 

"Hello?" 

"Minion, where are you? I'm bored," Remulus says through the line.

"Umm, Commander Remulus," I purposely utter his name out loud and suppress a smile when the guard's eyes widen. "I'm here to visit my friend in the training center but there are two guards stopping me for some reason."

"They dare stop my minion? Wait there, I'm coming over to beat them up," He jokes.

"What? You're going to punish them?" I ask out loud and the officers shift on their feet uncomfortably.  

"I said beat them up, Aria. You need to clean your ears."

The officers look uncertain but they don't budge from their positions. Thankfully I see Rosie walking up the steps and wave at her. She sees me and rushes over. 

"Why are you bored?" I ask Remulus and he sighs theatrically. 

"Well Altair was supposed to be my wing man tonight but he ditched me because I always get lucky when he doesn't. So now I need a new wing man and I think you'd be perfect for the role."

"I can't. I'm busy at the human quarters." I cradle the communicator under my ear as I speak to him.

"Ughh you're such a bummer. What are you doing there? Can I join? I look a bit human anyway."

I am about to retort but he cuts the line making me wonder if he is on the way already. 

"Aria, what are you doing here?" Rosie reaches me and I nearly wince when I take in her appearance.