Chapter 32

Asher

I regret not paying better attention in my Spanish class. The woman is staring at us in anticipation of an answer I have no idea how to give.

"Um," I say. My eyes find Harper's. She's watching me, her hope clearly evident in them. I can't help but chuckle. I have no idea what I've been asked. I think she might have invited us to their home, but she didn't annunciate like my teacher used to and I only caught a few words. I nod. What's the harm at this point?

"What have you done?" Harper whispers, but her smile lets me know she doesn't mind.

"Not sure yet," I answer. I can't believe only a few days ago I thought I had everything in my life figured out. There was a peacefulness in that, but now as I sit in the back of this car holding Harper's hand with all the uncertainty in the world surrounding us, I wouldn't go back there. I'd take today. I'd take this over knowing what was ahead. I look out my window so I don't smile like a mad man at her.

I'm expecting to see a small, quiet house when we pull into the driveway, but instead music greets us along with guests carrying food as they walk up the long dirt path to the bustling property.

"I'm not dressed for a party," Harper says, a soft giggle escaping her lips as she takes in the sight before us.

We need to get back to our hotel and our friends, but the smell of something delicious cooking makes my mouth water. The woman motions for us to follow her inside the house. I take Harper's hand in mine again, not wanting to be separated from her. We're guided inside and ushered to a hallway just outside a small bathroom. Our arms are quickly filled with dry towels and new toothbrushes.

"I think this is some kind of boarding house or hotel," Harper says as she glances into the cupboard the woman is gathering supplies from. Small shampoo bottles and tiny bar soaps are stacked neatly inside and she's either correct, or this woman has some serious love for tiny bathroom necessities.

People are filling the house now, wandering in and setting the food or drinks they've brought in the kitchen. Outside the band is playing. One woman slips past us down the hall, stopping for a moment to give our host a kiss on the cheek in greeting. They speak so quickly I can't follow but I'm pretty sure she called us newlyweds and I'm still trying to figure out how she got that Idea when she thrusts another small item into my arms.

Shooing us inside, she offers one last smile and then closes the door so that Harper and I are left standing toe to toe in front of a mirror in the small room.

I sniff my shirt. "We must stink," I say.

"What just happened?" Harper asks, her eyes huge with shock and confusion.

"I believe it's shower time." I set my towel on the tiny sink. Harper hugs hers closer to her chest. "But first," I start, unwrapping the toothbrush and getting to work lathering it with toothpaste from the tiny tube she'd given us. I hold it up to Harper and she slowly sets down her towel and prepares hers.

"This is the weirdest vacation I've ever been on," she states. Her shoulders relax and she begins to brush her teeth.

I move past her to run the water. I can't wait to rinse off the last two days, but as the water heats up over my fingertips, I'm feeling nervous about how close she and I are going to be in a few minutes. We finish brushing in silence, both of us catching glimpses of the other in the mirror above the sink. The steam fills the room and the visions of her reflection grow hazy, or maybe that's just because I'm already thinking about her in the shower.