twenty-two

⁀➷

⁀➷

Steve stepped out of the private room after making a fake call to Hank Pym in order to draw him out and retrieve the Pym Particles.

"Yeah, this is Chesler. I need every available MPs on sub-level 6. We have a potential breach."

Tipping his head down to avoid the security guard, Steve slipped into am empty room. Feeling safe, he suddenly saw a picture of himself. He slowly walked toward the desk, picked up the picture frame of himself, then turned around to read the backward writing on the door. His heart skipped a beat at the name on the door, then turned around once he heard voices. Recognizing the woman, he walked closer to the dimmed windows blocking them. Peggy Carter always had a place in his heart.

He was devastated when Ophelia didn't visit him anymore. She had disappeared without a trace. She was mysterious from the get-go, but her personality was trusting and kind.

He had fallen in love with her because of her pure, kind, and proud heart. She spoke her mind, but cared for others and made sure they knew. She had no shame and didn't care about what other people thought. She helped him grow out of his small, fragile Brooklyn shell.

Then, she disappeared and left him alone to pick up the pieces. No one knew who she was. Bucky only met her for a fleeting moment, and his mother died months later.

For a moment before he became Captain America, he had thought she was sick of him and finally left, but that was his insecurities speaking. I'm the short amount of time he spent with her, he knew she wasn't that sort of person.

Peggy Carter valued him and loved him when he was small and was with him every step of the way when he became Captain America, but she was not his first love. His heart belonged to Ophelia Odindottir, a woman who he barely knew but trusted, loved, and cherished with his life.

He took a step back from the window and placed the picture frame back on her desk. He walked toward the door and placed his hand on the doorknob. With one last glance at Peggy, he uttered the words, "Thank you" and exited with the intention of restoring his fallen comrades and friends.