7- disco disco party party

She walks in beauty, like the night

Of cloudless climes and starry skies;

And all that's best of dark and bright

Meet in her aspect and her eyes

― Lord Byron

✵✵✵

Elaine didn't know what she had expected of the 'small celebration' James had wanted to throw in order to celebrate the new Quidditch team. It had started out innocent enough. At first, there had only been a few people, the players as well as their closer friends. As the midday turned into an afternoon however, and the sun warmed up the ground enough for people to start jumping into the lake, more and more students had arrived at the spot, carrying food and beverages, as well as a charmed record player that was playing muggle music Elaine had never heard before.

She had lost sight of James and Sirius, as both boys were surrounded by quite the group of female admirers, that were laughing obnoxiously loud in order to get the two boys' attention.

The French only shook her head at their actions before venturing to the water and grabbing a cold butterbeer from a cooler.

"You don't seem like you're enjoying yourself all that much", a voice sounded from behind her.

"What is it with you and always showing up randomly? I thought this was a Gryffindor party", Elaine answered amused, turning around to meet the smiling face of Louis Dolohow.

"I'm quite happy to see you too, Sauveur. For your information, this party is not closed off and the lake is accessible to every student of this school"

"Whatever"; Elaine mumbled, grabbing a second butterbeer and handing it to the Slytherin, as he made no move to budge. The two of them came to the silent understanding of sitting down at the lakeshore, while Elaine opened up the two bottles.

"That was quite the stunt you pulled there with Avery yesterday", Louis started the conversation, "He hasn't shut up about it yet, and I doubt he will soon"

"It served him right", Elaine shrugged, leaning back on her arms and enjoying the warm September sun shining down on her face.

"Never said it didn't. It was actually quite time", Louis defended himself, copying Elaine's action. "You do seem to have quite a knack for creative spells though", he praised the girl next to him.

"Thank you", she answered sincerely. "At Beauxbatons, we actually had a class similar to Charms where we learned about the origins of magic and how one can create their own spells. That was quite interesting"

"Really?", Louis uttered surprised, "That is so fascinating! How does it work, actually?"

"Latin I guess"; Elaine tried to explain, not able to put everything she learned in the course of five years in one sentence.

"And I assume you are quite practiced in Latin?", the Slytherin asked the Blonde.

"As a pure-blood should be", Elaine drew out languidly, trying to follow the slow and complex way she always heard her grandfather speak.

"Obviously. How could I have overseen that.", the boy answered, copying her voice, making the two teenagers break out into a laugh. "May I suppose further that those are not the only languages you have been able to acquire?", he added lethargically.

"Your assumption is quite correct. My grandparents were very adamant to have me study not only English and Latin, but German and Chinese as well, as they have multiple connections to the far East. I am sad to inform you that my Spanish and Swedish have suffered greatly under my academical studies however", Elaine explained obnoxiously, relishing in the feeling of being able to make fun of her upbringing for once.