twenty-four

⁀➷

⁀➷

Bruce held up tons of debris from collapsing on top of Rocket, Rhodey, and Ophelia with his one good arm. Some debris was stuck on top of Rocket.

"I can't breathe. I can't breathe! I can't breathe," Rocket chanted.

"Canopy. Canopy. Canopy," Rhodey weakly ordered, causing his suit to open up. He struggled to get out of his damaged suit.

"Rhodey, Rocket, get outta here!" Bruce groaned.

Rhodey crawled over to help Rocket while taking a rebar as leverage to lift the debris off.

"Hurry up! Hurry up! Come on!" panted Rocket.

"Rhodey!" Bruce shouted as Rhodey helped Rocket escape.

A flood of water rushed in, engulfing everyone rapidly.

"Mayday, mayday! Does anybody copy? We're in the lower level, it's flooding!" exclaimed Rhodey. "We're drowning! Does anybody copy? Mayday!"

"Wait! I'm here! I'm here, can you hear me?" Scott called out.

Meanwhile, Hulk was under all of the debris, attempting to hold up the structure from collapsing on them. Rhodey, Rocket, and Ophelia were breathing for their lives as the water rose.

"See you on the other side, man," said Rhodey.

Ophelia took in a large intake of air. She never imagined that drowning would be the cause of her death. She had pictured old age or a glorious battle to be the cause of her death.

The ring on her left hand felt heavy and dull in the dim light. After all those years without Steven and finally returning to him, she would leave him first.

For the Goddess of Love, her love life never seemed to go her way. She could only picture what her wedding with Steve would look like. Perhaps it was a small wedding with only a priest who would wed them or a large wedding with everyone at S.H.I.E.L.D.

The water was cold, but it wasn't something she couldn't handle. Loki's hands were much colder. She would always get chills whenever he touched her cheek or forehead.

The water was proving to be comforting as time went on. She could only hope Steve was safe.