Premise

Premise: Imagine a version of Gilmore Girls in which a high school student lives with her strict grandparents meets You've Got Mail in which two asexual teens rekindle their latent affection in 1999.

___

Logline: After self-proclaimed celibate high school junior Jess Perez meets asexual senior Eric Stevens, she begins a path of discovery in which they work together to find her true self.

___

Description:

She wears a mask of piety. He wears a mask of logic.

In the late nineties asexuality is all but unknown as a sexual orientation. It's certainly not discussed in Catholic high schools. Jess doesn't understand her complex array of emotions or why she finds it so hard to relate to her fellow classmates.

She can't tell anyone the truth. Not even her best friend Care.

Until she meets Eric, that is. He lets slip that he's asexual, and Jess wants to learn more.

When her strict grandparents forbid them from becoming friends, the two classmates part ways and Eric goes off to college. Fate often finds a way to reunite hearts and minds, though.

After almost a year, Jess decides she must try to embrace her true identity as well as the friendship she's brushed aside. But the path is full of struggle and doubt.

___

Status: completed ¦ editing in progress

Rating: PG-15 for moderate language, teen themes, and mild intimacy (no sex scenes)

Genre: teen fiction romance featuring two heteroromantic ace characters

Inspiration: This is a teen fiction rewrite of the original Mask of Celibacy, which is a multimedia novella based on a similar concept.

You can find that completed work on my profile page under the same title.

___

Author's Note: If you think you might enjoy this work, please add it to your library and reading lists to get regular updates. Please share it with friends as well! 💜💃 Every little bit helps.

If you like the premise, please vote and/or comment.

___

Achievements:

- NaNoWriMo target of 50K reached on July 24, 2020.

- Raw draft completed on July 30, 2020 (106,850 words in total).

- Best YA Watty Award 2021, Best Cover Watty Award 2021, and the Wattpad Books Prize 2021