(34) Something To Live For.

Cody jumped, startled when his phone chirped in his pockets.

He swabbed at his sweaty brows with the sleeve of his discarded shirt and raised guilty eyes at his boss, praying he didn't hear him. He wondered who was calling him but couldn't risk bringing the phone from his pocket. If he did, the sound would become louder.

His boss paid him no heed because he was preoccupied, his gaze intent as he watched two men operate on CCTV cameras that had been placed in front of Bull's house. The CCTV had been discovered and had been shot down. Luckily their spy who had placed the cameras there hadn't been compromised.

Yet.

The boss wanted to know if he could get audio and if he could secure the other cameras. Going in blind was not an option.

Sighing in relief when his phone stopped ringing, Cody continued to concentrate on filling their .50 browning M2 machine gun with bullets, being painstakingly careful. He placed the open single-loop end of the ammunition belt over the cartridge filler piece and filled the spindle, approximately to the height of the upper half of the chest, so that the belt stop engages and holds the belt.

He looked around at the secret warehouse where they had arrived that morning and watched the men busy with a task or two, some cleaning out their Kevlar-made bulletproof vest and combat helmet, their body armor, and other weapons, while the others focused on practicing. He looked ahead at the small boxing ring where about ten of their men were practicing some fighting moves.

Truth be told, he didn't know how he felt about the invasion. All he knew was that he wanted to be loyal to his boss and he wanted to see him win at all costs, even if it meant his death. What was he living for anyway? No wife or children. No family. The only one he had, Bob, was going in with them. He sighed. His life was meaningless so it was best he used it for something good.

He looked around. Where was Bob anyway? He'd gone out for a toilet break and that had been over an hour ago. What was taking him so long?

His phone chirped again and this time his boss heard and directed a dangerous scowl at him.

"What did I say about phones?" He asked in anger.

"I-I'm sorry," He carefully placed the 50 Cal down and removed the phone from his pockets, and was about to switch it off when he saw the caller ID. He froze but his ice statue was shattered when sir Devlin stood from where was hunched and came over to Cody. Cody shifted back in fear.

"Hand it over."

"S-sir, it's a family emergency."

"What rules did I give before we got here? Seems you have forgotten, Cody." His scowl was dark and his voice was low.

"No sir it's very urgent. It has to do with my fam -"

"Don't you think I also have a family to get back to?"

Cody was taken aback at that. "Sir?"

Sir Devlin sighed and wiped the sweat from his brow with the back of his hand. He was bare-chested and smeared with grease due to his work on their automobile bulletproof truck which was very crucial to their plans. It had begun acting up after they arrived here this morning and he had thrown a tantrum, going on about how everything must go according to plan.

"Do you think I like the fact that I was married for less than forty-eight hours before I had to hurl myself down here? Do you think I like being away from my wife?"

Cody shook his head. "No sir."

Sir Devlin gave him a pained look. "Go get the call. I give you five minutes. And remember to stay hidden." he turned on his heels and went back to what he was doing.