SEVEN

Ever since Aang had confessed he was feeling lonely, his spirits seemed to have lifted a bit. Tapeesa was under the impression he had needed to get his troubles off of his chest and now he had talked about it, he could go on and be the cheerful man she had grown used to in the last couple of days.

Another day passed when nothing uneventful happened and the two of them started their day and continued the way they had grown accustomed to. By the time the sun had started to set and Tapeesa was ready to start her bending practice, Aang had turned his eyes on her, as he always did. This time, though, he had a suggestion to make.

"Tapeesa?"

She only hummed in response, not looking over at him as she kept braiding her hair in numerous braids so they wouldn't get in her way while she was bending. Aang shifted slightly as she headed to the opening of the cave and then got outside. He slowly stood up and followed after her.

"Do you want to practice with me?"

She glanced at him over her shoulder, a perfectly formed eyebrow rising in a mixture of surprise and uncertainty. "You want to fight with me?"

"I won't do anything that could injure you," he rushed to assure her as he came to a stop beside her. "I just want to practice. You don't have to accept."

"Fighting against the Avatar," she hummed as she turned around and started walking away. "It sounds like an unfair fight."

His face flushed. "I-I know it's sudden-"

"I hope you are prepared, then," she cut him off as she turned to face him with a small smirk. Aang blinked before his eyes widened in realisation and he rushed to put more space between them. Tapeesa watched him with no hint of worry as he got ready.

"Thank you. You can still back out, though."

"How many people can claim they've fought against the Avatar?" she mused. "I can't let such an opportunity go to waste."

He hesitated for a moment before he nodded. "You can start whenever you are ready."

Tapeesa nodded in response, her gaze falling on her helmet left outside, the water she had taken from the sea still in it. She glanced from it to Aang and then with a quick, focused motion, she commanded the water to rise and head towards him. The countless droplets of water turned into sharp daggers made of ice as they rushed towards him, and she thought his eyes widened for a second before he swiped his hand in the air and a wave of fire was formed. The fire sizzled as it got in contact with the ice and steam rose at once. Her attack had been dissipated.

She moved an arm around herself, water appeared seemingly from nowhere and gathered around her. She aimed at Aang. He formed a sphere of air and jumped on it, using it to move away. She willed the water to follow after him, the edge of it turning into ice as it got close. Aang sent a gust of air towards her and as Tapeesa moved out of the way to avoid it, she lost focus. The water fell on the ground for a second before she regained control once more but it was enough for Aang to find an opening.

The earth around him rose and broke in pieces he hurled over at her and Tapeesa commanded the water to move in front of her, creating shield after shield of ice as he continued his attack. She held her position as best as she could, her lips pursed, having lost their colour from the pressure she applied. She had to take a step back to keep her balance as she spied Aang coming closer. As he aimed the next couple of rocks at her shield, she held on until it was close enough and then she swerved out of the way moments before the rocks were to hit her shield, the water moving with her as she twirled and sent ice sharp like a razor at him.

The attack was unexpected. Aang's sphere of air was extinguished as he momentarily lost focus but he regained it quickly enough once more. He raised his arms, took a small step back and with a soft movement, he turned the ice she had hurled at him back into water and commanded it to curl around him. The corner of her lips twitched as she got ready for his assault.