39 | The One With The Christmas

Dear Reader,

Please read till the end. There is something interesting at the end of the chapter under the Announcements section. Happy Reading!

Silver baubles, dangly stars, fairy lights decorated the evergreen tree and the smell of freshly baked cookies filled the atmosphere around Shree's apartment. It was Christmas Eve morning.

Shree was busy mixing butter and sugar together to make the third batch of cookies when the doorbell rings. Olivera and Nick were busy wrapping the cookies. She wipes her hand and runs to answer the door.

"Hey!" Madhav waves at her enthusiastically. He gives Shree a vibrant bouquet of red and yellow tulips. "I checked out of that hotel, just as you asked me to. So, for the rest of my trip I will be here in this -mmm, what's that divine smell?"

He walks into the apartment with a big suitcase in his hand. Madhav had gone back to London the evening after finding Shree in Lewisham. He spent the whole night packing his belongings. He checked out of the hotel and returned back to her on the eve of Christmas. Just as he promised.

"I was hoping you'd return in the afternoon." She says holding the bouquet in her hands.

"Nah. I couldn't stay away from you and my kannamma for that long. I checked out immediately after sunrise. Oh, guess what? I got my wallet and passport back. The local police said they caught the thief who stole from me." He says as he walks in. "Also, I brought a really cute reindeer antler headband for Madhu. Hey Olive! Is that Nick? Good to see you again mate!"

"You look so cheerful." Shree says amused as he goes into her room.

"I'm going to be staying here with you and Madhu for the next 144 hours." He says lying on the bed. "Six whole days"

"So, are you leaving after six days?" Shree asks sitting next to him.

"I can't stay here for long, chellam." He says sitting up. "I need to go back to India. I've stayed away from work for a long time. I'll really miss you and Madhu."

"Promise me that you'll message me every day." She says.

"Promise, but please unblock me from social media and save my number " He says and Shree chuckles. "I'll call you on Skype on the weekend. We can chat throughout the weekend- I mean if you have time."

"I'll be looking forward for your video call." She whispers with a smile.

"Wonderful." He adds. "Also, I have been working on your financial statements. I'm almost done. Just give me an hour and some cookies- I'll finish it off."

"Wow that was fast." Shree says surprised.

"That's me, baby." He says as he opens his suitcase to get his laptop. "Also, I need a dinner date in return for this favour. You know, like two good friends."

"You want to take me out for dinner?" He nods. "I don't think it's going to be easy with Madhu-"

"How about a dinner date here?" He says looking at her. "We can dress up. I'll cook something nice and we can eat it in the dining room."

"That sounds nice." She says. "Also, Olivera is going to spend Christmas at Nick's so we have the place all to ourselves.  She'll be leaving in the evening."

"That's great! Also, I got you a really nice dress." He says as he looks into his suitcase. He pulls out a bag with the words 'ALEXANDER MCQUEEN' embossed on it. "Merry Christmas."

"OMG Alexander McQueen is the brand-" She says surprised.

"The brand that the Duchess of Cambridge wears regularly." He finishes. Shree opens the bag to find a gorgeous embossed mid-length dress in red with a flared skirt and no sleeves. She runs her fingers on the rayon-viscose blended fabric. "I would really happy if you wore this tonight."