lxi. the odds

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑰𝑿𝑻𝒀 𝑶𝑵𝑬
❝ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒅𝒅𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

THE STRANGE GROUP OF THREE HAVE been traveling for hours

THE STRANGE GROUP OF THREE HAVE been traveling for hours. They mostly stayed silent for the rest of the journey after discovering that their personalities together would make quite a large clash when Vera had argued her way under Grimmund's skin, who exploded on her and caused Aragorn's heated behavior which ended up with the entire group arguing until Aragorn passed out in exhaustion from his wounds and the argument. The two arguing cousins only realized Aragorn's silence when he fell off the horse as Vera loosened her grip. So, as a solution suggested by a tired Aragorn, they all decided to keep silent and only speak about important matters regarding Helm's Deep that would guarantee no immature behavior, which Grimmund and Vera reluctantly agreed to in mumbles.

They had previously waited for Aragorn to gather enough strength to grasp the reins on Brego as the two cousins discussed matters concerning Helm's Deep and the journey ahead of them. Then, Vera ended up losing her patience and insisted on moving on, choosing to guide Brego in Aragorn's stead as he is still weak and barely conscious. So, she mounted the horse with a resolute expression, firmly placed Aragorn in front of her and ensured that he was seated and unable to fall, and ordered Grimmund to lead the way at a steady and speedy pace as the cousin knew more about Rohan and the nearest routes to Helm's Deep than the other two. With haste and perseverance, the group departed from the river bank and began their journey to Helm's Deep as quickly as possible. During the journey, Aragorn had been able to gather enough strength to be able to control Brego and the reins when Vera is unable to do so.

Vera, while traveling, kept herself occupied with battle strategy, her surroundings, and her people. She did not want to let her worries drift on the upcoming army and the amount of death about to reach them if the army easily outnumbered them but Vera blindingly grasped onto a small, piece of hope that there was a chance that they won this battle for an army of orcs and a limited number of people fighting to protect hundreds of children and women is not an easy feat. Thus began Vera's venture into her thoughts of battle strategy; she needed to ensure that her people would be prepared to fight a war that did not benefit them, only agreeing to the loss of their life by the word of their Queen but Vera did not like to forsake her people and have their lives on her hand. She needed them to be protected and prepared for the battle coming for them, especially after going through a battle themselves. Vera needed to talk to Thèoden. She needed to talk to her brother.

The sun was nearing its setting state when they saw it. They have just passed numerous flatlands and large hills with glistening sea-lands when they arrived on a hilltop to overlook a mass of black in the far distance. Vera had been deep in thought about her people, attempting to distract herself with the environment around her when her eyes landed on something peculiar in the distance. She alerted Grimmund and Aragorn, who has been privately talking about strategies to use in battle, about the strange appearance over the horizon as she urged Brego forward to get a closer view from her peeking location. Grimmund followed after her in confusion before their eyes registered what the large mass was; Orcs. The orc army was larger than she expected it to be, rendering her shocked and speechless at the size.