42 | Don't Go Breaking My Trust

4 2
Don't Go Breaking My Trust

I wake up feeling lighter, and happily stroll to the bathroom for a nice, warm shower. The tension that'd usually coat my body is still undeniably there, but somehow, it's lessened.

I know the reason for this is my talk with my brothers yesterday. We came to some agreement that everything that's wrong between or with us isn't entirely our faults.

And that makes me feel the littlest bit better.

I know pushing the blame onto other people isn't the best thing to do, but taking it all on yourself isn't either.

I refuse to continue accepting the blame for things my parents caused.

Dinner with all five of us last night had been awkward, Mom and Dad's lingering animosity surrounding us all. Another fight was brewing under the surface, we could all feel it, especially when Mom was snippy anytime Dad so much as moved. But he completely ignored her antics, not letting her egg him on, and maybe that's not the best way—again—to handle things, but it sure as hell allowed the rest of us a chance to enjoy our food peacefully.

The night ended with Noah, Knox, and I watching a movie together. Dad sat on the side tapping away at his phone, not really paying attention, but we all knew he didn't sit with us because he wanted to see the movie. He was avoiding heading to bed with Mom.

But he eventually did leave, and there was no more arguing for the night, which meant Mom was already asleep or he actually slept in the guest bedroom and did a good job hiding it from us.

Before heading off to bed, Noah grabbed my elbow and said we'd retry our day together tomorrow.

After stepping out of the shower, I ready myself, putting in effort to look decent for the first time in a while. I haven't tried since prom night.

That causes my stomach to drop, as any reminder of that night does. But I try to push it aside. Noah and Knox are making an effort, and I can't let my own shit ruin it today.

Even if I can still feel my guilt and sadness tugging at me relentlessly.

Once I finish my hair, I walk into the hall, finding Knox exiting his room at the same time. I observe him quickly, frowning at his pajamas.

"Why aren't you dressed?" I ask while reaching for my phone in my pocket. "Noah's text said before eight, right?"

I double check, even though I know I got the time right. I was pissed when I saw how early he wanted us up and ready, but I assume it's because he rebooked whatever activities he had previously planned, and I didn't have the right to complain since my meltdown was the reason we missed it yesterday.

Knox looks at me sleepily through barely open eye lids. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

He tries to move past me, but I grab his wrist and jerk him back. "Aren't we going out today?"

"I'm trying to go take a piss and head back to bed," Knox answers while ripping his arm from my grip and then rubbing at his eyes. "Whatever you and Noah have planned for today doesn't involve me."

When he moves again, I don't stop him, instead standing there for several seconds confused. Why would Noah plan another sibling day and not invite all of his siblings? Did he think I wouldn't want Knox there? Did he think that was yesterday's problem?